Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

M1C Restoration

Article about: Hi All! Just finished the repaint & texture on my M1C and thought I would share with you all! The shell is an original front seam swivel bail manufactured by Schlueter. I originally boug

?

Default M1C Restoration

Hi All! Just finished the repaint & texture on my M1C and thought I would share with you all! The shell is an original front seam swivel bail manufactured by Schlueter. I originally bought this restored helmet and jump liner from J Murray inc. 1944 about 4 years ago. Long story short the shell needed redoing so this is my first attempt at doing the paint texture on an M1. Think it turned out very well only thing that bugs me is the OD paint dried semi matt were originals were very flat matt but sure I will get over it! Basically I sanded the shell making sure it was smooth then started by spraying the paint on heavily and sprinkling cork texture direct to the wet paint. Then repeated the process about 3 times. Then after the final coat and a heavy sprinkling of cork I left the helmet to dry thoroughly. Then I knocked off all the excess cork which leaves a textured look very similar to originals! A few more coats of paint and all done! Hope you like! The pics are in order of process. Cheers! Sean. M1C RestorationM1C RestorationM1C RestorationM1C RestorationM1C RestorationM1C RestorationM1C RestorationM1C RestorationM1C Restoration

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M1C Restoration
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: M1C Restoration

Nice one mate! If you can, get some flat clear spray from a model shop and hit it with a few coats and you'll get that Matt finish

?

Hi AMTG. I have decided after thinking about it all day.... That paint finish will just bug the hell outta me so I have bit a rather expensive bullet and paid for a few tins of a flat matt OD paint I know of that is very close to the original WW2 colour. Before you say why didnt you just get that paint originally?.... I must admit not the sharpest tool in the shed haha! Always find out the hard way! In fairness I thought this paint would maybe be better. Now to hope the paints do not react with each other as I really dont fancy stripping it back and starting again from scratch. Hopefully will have it redone and pics posted by weekend! Cheers! Sean.

The paint in the pics looks like the wrong shade of OD - too dark.
    I've used #34087 OD for my jeep and other stuff that needs
    refinishing, and I've found that if you put on heavy coats
    it dries semi gloss.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Hey all! Update I got a very close match to the original OD colour in matt and re-painted the helmet as well as adding a bit more texture. Hope you agree it looks much better than when I first finished. I compared it to original helmets in Michel De Trez paratrooper helmets book and it looks very close I am happy to display it now! Cheers! Sean. M1C RestorationM1C RestorationM1C Restoration

Good job - Looks great.........!
    Regards,

Steve.