Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M35 post war re-issued post war Black Helmet

Article about: Hello all, my first post so here goes. I have an M35 post war re issued black helmet possibly from Czech. It is a Sachisch emaillewerken SE62 batch 4612, the steel liner band is an original

Default M35 post war re-issued post war Black Helmet

Hello all, my first post so here goes.
    I have an M35 post war re issued black helmet possibly from Czech. It is a Sachisch emaillewerken SE62 batch 4612, the steel liner band is an original (but not to this helmet) DRB 1943. What I want to know is what is the best way to restore this helmet, under the black is feldgrau and about 50-60% of this remains on the outside and the bare metal has a nice patina. I want to buy a repro Alu liner, chinstrap and pins but is it wise to repaint it fully or not at all and can somebody tell me from the batch number what it came originally from the factory as?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 post war re-issued post war Black Helmet
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: M35 post war re-issued post war Black Helmet

Hello, and welcome the this fine forum!
    Sorry I dont know.. Althought I think you should leave the remaining original paint and patina. If I were you, I would keep a look out for an original liner and chinstrap IMHO. Also, some pictures would help.
    ~Dean

M35 post war re-issued post war Black HelmetM35 post war re-issued post war Black HelmetM35 post war re-issued post war Black Helmet
    Here's photos of the helmet. The reason I want to add a repro liner is because my two young sons like playing with it and would seem a tragic waste to give them a real antique liner to ruin.

Give your kids;M35 post war re-issued post war Black Helmet
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Ha Ha, hup hup holland.

Default Re: M35 re-issued post war Black Helmet

M35 post war re-issued post war Black HelmetM35 post war re-issued post war Black HelmetM35 post war re-issued post war Black HelmetM35 post war re-issued post war Black HelmetM35 post war re-issued post war Black Helmet

Got a better look at my helmet today and don't think it is feldgrau but more green and it has a texture, ie aluminium oxide, which I can see with a magnifying glass. The inside rim looks like applegreen under the darker green, certainly a lighter shade of green but can't find evidence of this on the outside and the inside of the glock does'nt look like it was ever painted more than once but as you can see this is almost gone. The two pins I have are also original and marked S&C 194? on one and the same on the other but date not visible. The outer liner band is an original DRP dated 43 but has been damaged by 4 rivits of the czech liner adaption.
    I think the best way to repaint it would be to remove the black with Acetone, leave the green on repaint over and add texture. What is the (second) original colour called?

G'day from OZ, and welcome to the Forum Zoe.. I have restored a few helmets and if i had one in this nicer condition i would leave it as it is, looking at the patina on the bare metal tells me you'd have to do a full repaint and i think it would lose it's appeal, i'd be happy to own it as it is, of course refit the liner if you desire, but it's yours to do as you please.

Cheers Phill.

?

First i would leave it alone, second, it looks like your missing the inner ring of the liner, the liner thats attached is all wrong and has been added badly, the ring you have there is the outer ring and the leather should not be attached to it

G'day Dave, yeah as Zoe. said the outer ring has been damaged from the fitting of the liner to the later period outer ring, but i like the shell, and would definately leave it as is.