Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

M38 Fallschirmjäger relic - cleaning using... oxalic acid?

Article about: Hi, yes thanks for all of the advice you guys. Well, in contrast to what one might think, the steel is still very solid and firm. Perhaps some of you are already familiar with the term, but

Default Re: M38 Fallschirmjäger relic - cleaning using... oxalic acid?

Hi, yes thanks for all of the advice you guys.

Well, in contrast to what one might think, the steel is still very solid and firm. Perhaps some of you are already familiar with the term, but this helmet is a "big hole" find.

You know that at the end of WWII, the Germans were sometimes stripped of their equipment to see it get burried in holes, sometimes being set on fire. This helmet was found in one of those holes, in the area of Leusden in Holland. I sincerely believe that the damage is damage of trucks and the weight of other helmets on top of it, rather than combat damage.
    Cracks and even broken helmets are quite typical when it comes to these "big hole" relics. That area of The Netherlands is a quite sandy area as well, explaining all the little stones and dirt on the rim...

Right about the numbers though, don't know if I'll be able to find them... In any case, the liner is a size 61 for a shell size 71. Leather is all hard though.

Cheers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M38 Fallschirmjäger relic - cleaning using... oxalic acid?
    P
    Many

?

Thats a rather unusual find , most of the helmets found are generally smaller sizes,not seen many 71 shells personally

Just also baught two "big hole" helmets, a DD police and a SD WH helmet.
    A amazing find that must have been!
    cheers
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

It's massive . Must have been worn by a big guy, the thing weighs a ton..

?

With ref to the "BIG HOLE" ,I was under the impression that that particular location had been excavated out and the locals demanded it be shut down and are well annoyed if relic hunters go there, anybody else knows of this

Quote by davejb View Post
    With ref to the "BIG HOLE" ,I was under the impression that that particular location had been excavated out and the locals demanded it be shut down and are well annoyed if relic hunters go there, anybody else knows of this
    Yes, I researched a bit to know more about its background, and indeed, measures were taken to prevent relic hunters from going there.

In the beginning the people living in the area didn't care a lot, but things got a bit out of hand. Diggers had to dig 3 meters deep, sometimes more to get where they wanted to, without cleaning up afterwards.

So people and especially pets tended to stumble in these holes, caused by the diggers. Complaints were made an the government decided to lock the place. Pity, because it's a real treasure when it comes to digging and it amazes me that the Dutch government doesn't let the diggers do their thing for a while to get it over with. Thousands and thousands of helmets and other equipment such as gas masks are burried there. All these helmets will now rot away thanks to the Dutch goverment and the people living in the area who don't want to get dirty feet.

Some military men are living in the area as well, and use the field to let their dogs do their thing. Big dogs, German shepherd types... Not a lot of diggers risk going there again... This relic was found there in 2006, don't know since when it is locked, but it has been since a couple of years.

I would like to have been there in 1945:

A lot of these helmets are still rotting there in the soil... :-(

Okay,

Here's what the warm water and soap did... Not much.

There's definitely some sort of camo scheme to the helmet, don't know whether it's mustard but definitely some kind of black-brown (maybe even purple) tones...

Isn't it massive? Makes me think of a turtle..

?

Those black/purple hues your seeing is the results of corrosion, ive never heard of that type of camo scheme on FJ Helmets

Quote by davejb View Post
    Those black/purple hues your seeing is the results of corrosion, ive never heard of that type of camo scheme on FJ Helmets
    I know, the orange is rust.. But if you look very closely, you can definitely spot brown paint, will try to make some pics of it asap.

Cheers

So I've been busy today... It's amazing, not finished yet but will post pics asap.

I think I actually see a birdy under all that rust :-o Hope I'm right!

The colour is a nice green-blue luftwaffe colour, like the colour of the ocean. Don't know 'bout camouflage, think it's just rust...

Will update asap with more information.

Cheers

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast