Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

M38 FALLSCHIRMJÄGERHELM rescue project

Article about: Trying to save this relic for posterity. More like a test really but let´s see how it turns out. I will send pictures and regular updates after the professional conservation process gets und

I would like to be part of this ongoing post.

Thanks,

William

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M38 FALLSCHIRMJÄGERHELM rescue project
    P
    Many

An interesting project, starting with something looking like a stone lifted out a coral reef, it will be interesting to see what Jan ends up with.

Looking forward to the end result - oh the suspense
    "Per Ardua"

?

I'll add my name to the list of interested parties on the out come and procedure used for this preservation.

Semper Fi
    Phil

A "little" restoration project I did for "The largest German Second World War fortifications in northern Europe" - museum in DK.
    ... Schartenlafette 34
    ... the cleaning process took about 4-5 month.
    ... it was very important to make the hole "lafette" moving again.
    ... so I could spend 1-2 weeks making one small part moving again.
    ... also cleaned the guide tube for the "Panzer Beobachtungs Winkel Fernrohr" you see in the links.

Electrolysis is very effective, when done right.
    ...but not sure it's the right method - regarding a German helmet.

Regards
    Replace

I look forward to the continuing process of this restoration, should be very interesting.

I'm sure the electrolysis would help to restrengthen the helmet?

Good luck with the restoration.

Jan
    ?

On wednesday I will take the helmet to the conservation laboratory. Stay tuned for documentation of this event in the history of this particular FJH
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M38 FALLSCHIRMJÄGERHELM rescue project   M38 FALLSCHIRMJÄGERHELM rescue project  

I certanily will Jan.

Is this one of the helmets that ''History Secrets'' on YouTube dug up? He also found a large dump hole filled with tens of these types of helmets and a lot of equipment. What I usually do with ground dug helmets is clean them from dirt, carefully knock off all the rust flakes ,put it in oxalic acid if it has any color remains ,neutralize it with Na2CO3 and then just coat it with natural beeswax. After that you would want to put it in a room with a relative humidity of 50% and lower to stop if from actively corroding. I have done this with an M40 helmet, 2 SSch-36 and 3 SSch-39 helmets and they don't show any signs of continuing corrosion.

Jan
    ?

Quote by llegion View Post
    Is this one of the helmets that ''History Secrets'' on YouTube dug up? He also found a large dump hole filled with tens of these types of helmets and a lot of equipment. What I usually do with ground dug helmets is clean them from dirt, carefully knock off all the rust flakes ,put it in oxalic acid if it has any color remains ,neutralize it with Na2CO3 and then just coat it with natural beeswax. After that you would want to put it in a room with a relative humidity of 50% and lower to stop if from actively corroding. I have done this with an M40 helmet, 2 SSch-36 and 3 SSch-39 helmets and they don't show any signs of continuing corrosion.
    Thank you for the interesting information, please PM me for more info about this dig in particular. The yellowish clay looks very much like the one on this helmet. Also the damage on the helmet looks much like the damage caused by this kind of very crude and bad excavating of the relic. It would be of much research interest us and the conservation team to find out more about where this helmet was found.

Best, Jan

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast