Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

M38 FALLSCHIRMJÄGERHELM rescue project

Article about: Trying to save this relic for posterity. More like a test really but let´s see how it turns out. I will send pictures and regular updates after the professional conservation process gets und

Jan
    ?

Today we changed the desalination fluid in the container.

The helmet is looking pretty good, although we still have to wait a couple of more weeks before we see the end result of this part of the conservation and especially the stabilisation process.

Best, Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M38 FALLSCHIRMJÄGERHELM rescue project  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M38 FALLSCHIRMJÄGERHELM rescue project
    P
    Many

Fascinating stuff Jan, can't wait for the end result..

Jan
    ?

It is quite a learning process for us too and a stark reminder of how difficult it is to stop rust from ruining historical items. Well in fact it can never be stopped but at least the rusting process can be slowed down.

Let´s hope that with this treatment the helmet will survive for many more generations

Best,

Jan

I bet that M38 will look great once you're done with it, Jan.
    I have a couple of things I found with my metal detector that I might also look into preserving, as with many things, once you see someone do it well, it inspires you to do so aswell! I have found an old axe head some time ago and cleaned it with electrolysis, in case you know something in that area, could you maybe tell me when it was made roughly? I'd send you some pictures if you want, as long as I am able to find out how that works, still new here I'm guessing its rather old.
    Curious to see the finished helmet, g'night,
    Luis

Jan
    ?

The "Kinnriemen" have now been cleaned, moistened and straightened out (pictures then and now).

After Easter we will change the liquid in the container one more time and measure the salidity of the helmet. Possibly in three more weeks time we can see the end result of the treatment.

Best, Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M38 FALLSCHIRMJÄGERHELM rescue project  
    Attached Images Attached Images M38 FALLSCHIRMJÄGERHELM rescue project 
    Last edited by Jan; 04-20-2019 at 07:49 PM.

RMD
    ?

Wow, at first, the helmet looked like it went through WW1, WW2, and then was dropped to earth from the space shuttle!

.. Can't wait to see the finished product. I bet it's going to look amazing. I'll be keeping an eye out for this. Yes, please keep posting the progress, the end result.

Good luck with this project. Thanks' for posting the photos. Even the way the helmet looked to begin with, it was awesome! Looks like it's really coming along. The Kinnremmen" look great!

Take care.

Jan
    ?

Helmet now stabile (and desalinited) so work with removing the surface rust can begin.

The white areas are interesting. They are probably caused by calcium but we will find ut after testing with Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy (also known as FTIR Analysis or FTIR Spectroscopy). This an analytical technique used to identify organic, polymeric, and, in some cases, inorganic materials. The FTIR analysis method uses infrared light to scan test samples and observe chemical properties.

After we know what it is it will (very gently) be removed from the surface of the helmet.

Best, Jan

Jan
    ?

There also seems to be some areas were the original surface of the helmet still retains some original (sand coloured) paint. Will send better pictures on Thursday.

Best, Jan

Looks great already, can't wait to see the original paint, or what remains of it, maybe the calcium could be remnants of a winter camo, probably not, but since white paint and especially whitewash consists often of Calcium Carbonate (CaCO3) it might just aswell be that , though I am no chemist, would be cool if that'd be what it is though.
    Luis

Jan,

I am really enjoying the journey of this helmet. Looking forward to see what else can be revealed.

Thanks for posting progress.

Best Wishes,
    Andrew

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast