MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

M38 FALLSCHIRMJÄGERHELM rescue project

Article about: Trying to save this relic for posterity. More like a test really but let´s see how it turns out. I will send pictures and regular updates after the professional conservation process gets und

Jan
    ?

Default M38 FALLSCHIRMJÄGERHELM rescue project

Trying to save this relic for posterity. More like a test really but let´s see how it turns out. I will send pictures and regular updates after the professional conservation process gets underway in early March.

Best, Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M38 FALLSCHIRMJÄGERHELM rescue project   M38 FALLSCHIRMJÄGERHELM rescue project  

M38 FALLSCHIRMJÄGERHELM rescue project   M38 FALLSCHIRMJÄGERHELM rescue project  

M38 FALLSCHIRMJÄGERHELM rescue project  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M38 FALLSCHIRMJÄGERHELM rescue project
    P
    Many

Holy Moses, that looks like something out of a horror movie! I'll be looking forward to this one. Good luck, and I mean that in a good way.

Jan
    ?

Yes, I know but I felt I just had to give it a try. The remaining leather parts will also be conserved.

Thanks for your support

Best, Jan

Jan, looks like an interesting project. I’ve seen some miraculous discovery’s under similarly rusted helmets before and if it doesnt work out to have much paint remaining it will still be a nice relic so fingers crossed for you. I look forward to following your progress.

Jan
    ?

Thanks alot "AndyM35".

The work will be carried out under my supervision by a very talented young consevation student as part of his examination. The same guy will be working with me during scientific WW2 excavation projects in the next years to come. Hopefully the results of his work shared here will help others and add to the knowledge of the cost and the effort when it comes to preserving these fragile items.

Best, Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M38 FALLSCHIRMJÄGERHELM rescue project  

Hi Jan, great photo!

I didn’t realise that you had a background in archeology/preservation. Is this something you do for a career?

I would have loved to have done this for a career but unfortunately in Australia the scope is somewhat limited. I do however volunteer with a railway museum called the Zig Zag Railway and have successfully written two grants over the last few years. On Friday I submitted one to have stonemasons carry out work on our stone tunnels, viaducts and retaining walls which are 150 years old this year. I often find the campsites and relics from the men that built the railway when I am walking through the site.

I recently read a very interesting article written by The Imperial War museum about conserving a WW1 German has mask (I have two). It was fascinating and would love to have done that sort of thing. Anyway, I”m getting side tracked now. Can’t wait to see the results of the excavation.

Love to see it's progression, cheers for allowing us to follow along.

Jan
    ?

Yes Andy, I´m a professional archaeologist, not so much into collecting but more interested in research and finding out more about items than meets the eye. I´m currently working on PhD about the archaeology and history of a German WW2 transition camp.

Interesting stuff you are into, railways are fascinating!

Best,

Jan

Jan, your work sounds fascinating.

Yes, the railway where I volunteer is very special and was world famous as a major engineering feat in its day.

But sorry for highjacking your post!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M38 FALLSCHIRMJÄGERHELM rescue project  

Jan
    ?

Some background info. The helmet was apparently found in a very large dump (in Germany) containing some 10 000 kg of gear abandoned by the Wehrmacht at the end of the war.

I will probably have the helmet "in hand" in a weeks time.

Best Jan

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast