Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

M38 Restoration Project

Article about: Hello to all, Typically I restore a helmet and share the results, but this time Im hesitating. I acquired a german M38 paratrooper helmet, dug up from the battlefield. I would like to restor

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    JohnyWoo I was just wondering at what battle this might have been lost? But I understand your concern.
    How about, What country?

Semper Fi
    Phil
    It was dug up in Germany.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M38 Restoration Project
    P
    Many

Not worth much in that state, so not much point being so secretive. I think people are more interested in the history than going out digging.
    Heres a SS helmet i bought cheap sill see the runes on it, found in Poland.
    M38 Restoration Project

Might not be a lot of metal left after that rust is removed.

?

Many people are against restoration for their own reasons; but in the end you should do what you want to do. It is your business. That said, not sure that this is a good candidate for restoration. But, if you decide to work on it I suggest that you immerse it in straight, undiluted vinegar, which is lightly acidic and works wonders with rust. It will remove decals, tho', but I suspect this in not an issue here.

Put it in a bucket, get a big jug of vinegar and totally cover it. After a couple of days take it out and use a bristle brush on it to remove loose portions; then re-immerse. In four or five days it should be back to the original steel, but it may take longer. When it has reached a condition with which you are happy, dry it and spray thoroughly with a rust preventative such as Rustoleum. This final step is essential because it will start rerusting immediately. Then, you can display it or restore it. Good luck!

Mike
    HelmetWerks Restorations
    Visit HelmetWerks on Facebook.

?

Personally i would leave it alone, from these photos it would appear that the metal is already very thin and the large buildup of rust bubbles can only mean that removing them will cause a great deal of damage, it could leave you with very little helmet left, any restoration after that will leave you with 80% filler and almost no history.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3