Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

M40 helmet resto

Article about: by davejb looking Good Phill whats this one gonna be Thinking of going the whole Hog and doing a Camo theme with a half basket SD SS......Seeing how thats the only decal i had left

Default Re: M40 helmet resto

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Only thing is the hi-fill can shrink back abit later but I guess you'll be sitting the lid out in that nice hot Melbourne sun to 'bake' after each coat?
    For sure, put it in the sun here at the moment for a few hours and it gets too hot to handle, but the weather just turned as i put a coat of primer and a bit of spot putty on it so i'll leave it inside for a week or so, as i will be away from home anyway, so if i don't reply don't think i'm being rude, i just won't be here.

Cheers Phill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

thanks for that, over here its called P38 filler or other product names

mpw
    ?

Hi there. I'm quite partial to a relic and enjoy a bit of restoration too so this thread I'm finding very interesting and am looking forward to the final results. Relic helmets aren't exactly thin on the ground so more power to your elbow and carry on the good work. Just one question. Is the guide coat some sort of primer? I guess you are using it to show up any imperfections of the filler.

Mark.

?

I think if your enjoying your restorations, good on ya.......

Hi Dave, Amtg, sorry i haven't replied to your earlier question AM... but its what i like to do..Dave as AM said it's what they use to repair cars.. the Yanks call it Bondo i think, but it's basically a 2 part epoxy. come fibreglass, come plastic filler, sorry but i really have to go it's getting late and i have to pack for a trip away, catch you all soon.

Cheers Phill

Quote by AMTG View Post
    G'day mate,

Can I ask why you are restoring this??? I quite like relic helmets, and I have just refitted a M40 SS relic with relic liner and pins, and it displays really well. I like the before photos of the relic, it looked great the way it was....your doing a great job on it, but I still have the question as to why... I just think it had more character as it was.....it's just my opinion and it's your helmet.....
    G'day Mate,i found afew more minutes to reply.. I can't go into depth at the Mo but i,too collect Relics but now and again i try to bring one back to life.. i enjoy it hope to talk some more when i come back

Cheers Phill

Quote by mpw View Post
    Hi there. I'm quite partial to a relic and enjoy a bit of restoration too so this thread I'm finding very interesting and am looking forward to the final results. Relic helmets aren't exactly thin on the ground so more power to your elbow and carry on the good work. Just one question. Is the guide coat some sort of primer? I guess you are using it to show up any imperfections of the filler.

Mark.
    G'day Mark, yes the guide coat is exactly what you thought it shows you the highs and lows on whatever it is your sanding. Not a primer as such ,you lay it on top of your primer, and if done correctly it can and will show up any imperfection, but wer'e talking Combat helmets here not Cadillacs, but it's a very useful tool if like doing restos yourself. Nice to make your acqaintance and hope to chat some more, If your interested i have another Resto thread listed as M42 in this Forum.

Cheers Phill

?

Looks like it's coming along very well. How does the inside look? Any plans for decals once you're done?

Nitram

Hi Nitram, inside is O.K i tend not to do to much inside so you can still tell that it's original, Haven't decided on a paint scheme or decals yet, one of the fun aspects of doing this yourself is you have that freedom to choose.

Cheers Phill
    Last edited by WOODSNAKE; 03-12-2012 at 03:06 AM.

G'day all, At the start of this thread i said the only lot# i could find was an N it has come to my attention that ET made a run of helmets for the Navy with the the first letter being N followed by a serial # and ending in S so it coulb be a KM lid!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast