Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

M40. New restoration project

Article about: We have had quite a few talks about helmet restoration lately. Should it or should it not be restored. Here is my take on what types of helmets one can restore without destroying a nice reli

?

Default M40. New restoration project

We have had quite a few talks about helmet restoration lately. Should it or should it not be restored. Here is my take on what types of helmets one can restore without destroying a nice relic. Of course one can find a cheap relic lid and take it from there. Today i found my next project a more or less messed up M40. Liner and chin strap is original. The helmet is a ET64. It have been repainted at some point and a nice original good looking LW decal applied 2 of the 3 liner clamps/rivets are in a bad state, but i will buy some original liner clamps.

Looking at the rear of the skirt, the helmet looks to be either dug up or rusted, hence the dents. With such a helmet it can only get better IMO. It is already ruined.

Regards, Lars

M40. New restoration project M40. New restoration projectM40. New restoration project

M40. New restoration project M40. New restoration projectM40. New restoration project

P1020864.jpg M40. New restoration project

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40. New restoration project
    P
    Many

Default Re: M40. New restoration project

I agree. I would add that something like this is a good candidate too, if it is rusted thin with no paint, decal, wire etc to give it merit.

A bit of filler to rebuild a little and it could be a fun little project.

M40. New restoration project

But don't repaint a relic with something cool like wire still on it (.....).

?

Andy! I have the feeling you are pulling my leg here. That skirt will be so almost impossible to do "A bit of filler......" LOL

Cheers mate

lol, well true perhaps. I only had a minute to find a rustbucket in google

Ho Ho Ho,that will never do if you want it to pass the MOT!!!

?

I just looked at the lid today. No pics. It started raining like hell and we were outside with kids and wives.... The liner leather looks a little big for the liner. The leather also not overlaps like it normally does. On the inside of the leather there is a flap on each side of the stitching. Should be able to take some better pics tomorrow.

Regards, Lars

Is that smooth"M35 " paint on a "40"?

Would have to agree the decal is dreadful, but it looks far to good to be a dug one. Perhaps a re-issue, might be tempting to see what paint is underneath?