Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

M40 Restoration

Article about: Can you post pics of the vent from the inside of the helmet? Annoyed from this ads?  

Can you post pics of the vent from the inside of the helmet?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 Restoration
    P
    Many

I can post some more pictures tomorrow no worries.
    In the second set of pictures the first picture is of the inside, although it looks like the outside.
    Jonathan.

Hello,
    Here are a few more pictures, all of the inside of the vent holes.M40 RestorationM40 RestorationM40 RestorationM40 Restoration
    Jonathan.

?

Hmmm.....I think that "restoration" is only destroying the original helmet. I prefer to leave helmet in shape which i got them. I only prevent rusting. But its only my opinion.

Quote by Edwin1 View Post
    Hmmm.....I think that "restoration" is only destroying the original helmet. I prefer to leave helmet in shape which i got them. I only prevent rusting. But its only my opinion.
    Actually the original German helmet was already painted over and used for Czech Fire services after the war, so he has not "destroyed" anything. he is bringing it back to the way is was when it first came out of the factory. Its not like he took an original SD M40 and stripped it, then repainted it. so technically he is preserving history IMO.

?

You have right. But i thought about "repairing" barn helmets, relics. I see most collectors restore relics give new color and decal. This is destroying. I didn't know that this helmet was repainted after war. I have few items which were repainted after war and i cleaned it too.

Some German helmets were re-issued to different countries after WWII. The Czech fire services used German helmets post war, which is the case with this helmet. They painted them black, and refitted them with different liners.

I do agree with you that people should not restore relic helmets. They should be left as-is, with the exception of applying something to stop further rusting.

edwin i totally agree with you depending on the condition of the relic but in this case the original poster has explained the helmet has been used postwar by czechoslovakia and the shell is very clean and strong with no corrosion i prefer to leave relics alone myself except for maybe applying a protective wax on the really bad ones , i also respect the wishes of the members who restore too cheers james
    Regards James

I have had a change of heart, the finish of the paint wasn't up to much!
    Anything would leave a mark on it.
    So I have stripped it again and ordered some oil based enamel paint.
    WW2 spec and RAL numbers to boot.
    Jonathan.

?

Look forward to the next instalment Jonathan, especially keen to see the RAL paint colour and finsih

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast