Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M40 SS Winter camo helmet cleaning

Article about: Just a surface cleaning made by me, helmet found in the old farms attic in Estonia. Condition as found

?

Default M40 SS Winter camo helmet cleaning

Just a surface cleaning made by me, helmet found in the old farms attic in Estonia.
    Condition as found
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M40 SS Winter camo helmet cleaning   M40 SS Winter camo helmet cleaning  

M40 SS Winter camo helmet cleaning   M40 SS Winter camo helmet cleaning  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 SS Winter camo helmet cleaning
    P
    Many

?

Default M40 SS after cleaning

It's Qwist factory helmet after cleaning. Someone tell me that the better to preserve the item in condition as found, but I think it's better to remove just a surface rust
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M40 SS Winter camo helmet cleaning   M40 SS Winter camo helmet cleaning  

M40 SS Winter camo helmet cleaning   M40 SS Winter camo helmet cleaning  

SGM (ret.)
    ?

Default re: M40 SS Winter camo helmet cleaning

For whatever my opinion is worth, I agree with you Dimas. The helmet is now much improved with your light cleaning.

I don't personnaly believe that the historical or intrinsic value of militaria items is increased with 40-50 years or dirt, rust and grunge from poor storage in an old barn, attic or Babushka's kitchen drawer. The exception might be an artifact with documented provanance of combat dirt and grunge, but such items must be very rare indeed.

Some evidence of an item's age and history is certainly desirable, but great gobs of rust or dirt are un-necessary for that.

To say your's is a very nice helmet is an understatement.

Mike

?

I prefer myself do not touch the item as my M 36 Soviet helmet, as it's shown here: https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/ussr-...met-early.html
    If the helmet is in perfect condition and just has some dirt and dust...

SGM (ret.)
    ?

Hi Dimas,

This is a sensitive subject for many collectors and one that provokes many arguments, which is not my intention here with these comments. I tend to look at each artifact and make my decision based on the particular item's condition rather than some personal rule or dogma to to always do or not do something.

I guess my guiding principle might be: "What should be done to protect the future of the item in question, i.e. to stabilize its deterioration in order to preserve it?" If all things are equal, though, changing or doing less is usually the better course of action.

However, I will freely admit that I have cleaned items just because they were, to me, unacceptably and un-neccessarily dirty solely from an appearance point of view. Often I am driven to take action based not on the intrinsic or monetary value but rather by my sense of the esthetic value of the item.

For me, it just depends on the particular circumstances of the artifact in question. Like your helmet above, it is greatly improved, in my opinion, in both appearance and (more importantly) a stabilized condition by your having cleaned it. And based on your photos, I believe you cleaned it just the right amount, not too much and not too little. The significant history of the helmet is now visible, its original green paint, the camouflage white paint, its decal, etc. Quite enough of the rust and other signs of deterioration remain to show its age and unfortunate storage conditions over the last half century. You brought out the historical significance of the helmet without distroying its history.

I would hope to have done such a proficient job myself if the helmet had come into my collection. I would love know more about the details of how you did what you did (what materials you used, what tools, what methods, what processes and sequence, etc).

At any rate, an interesting discussion that has kept antique collectors of all generas engaged.

Mike

osip
    ?

Default Re: M40 SS after cleaning

Quote by Dimas View Post
    It's Qwist factory helmet after cleaning. Someone tell me that the better to preserve the item in condition as found, but I think it's better to remove just a surface rust

think that you are right. And a question what chemicals cleaned

?

Electrical type with a little bit soil

osip
    ?

I clean an acid

?

So, about restoring collecting etc.
    I prefer do not collect the items which is needs to be cleaned, I prefer the spell, smell and other factors which makes the item authentic- I prefer "salty" items with it's own character. I like the story, if I know where from got that item- this item for me.
    Cleaning- the helmet shown is found by my friend is near the place I live- it's place around the SS- lager in Kehra, Estonia. The helmet found in old attic with absolutely good Platanen tarn Zeltplane. The owner of the farm asks from my friend about 20 USD for both items. Due of my frind want only clean and items in good condition, he asks me to clean that helmet. The cleaning type is my secret, but I use ultrasound+ galvanic. Acid will change color and makes some soil

osip
    ?

All is true.
    However easy cleaning makes the item more attractive. But this is my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast