MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

M42 EF66 restoration

Article about: I recently purchased a cheap M42 helmet shell as a restoration project. It came poorly gloss black, unfortunately the original paint stripped underneath. I purchased the helmet in Denmark, s

Default M42 EF66 restoration

I recently purchased a cheap M42 helmet shell as a restoration project. It came poorly gloss black, unfortunately the original paint stripped underneath. I purchased the helmet in Denmark, so expected the black to be related to being repurposed, but the inside of the helmet was not painted. I have been looking at the Lot info in the Bill Ice book, and seeing the one other helmet identified from M42 EF66 Lot 1280, listed as a DD police helmet, so plan on make it a tribute to its lot brother.
    So today, I started stripping the crappy paint off ready to get the shell ready for a proper restoration. I noticed (most likely coincidental and wishful thinking) the darkened shape of what looks like the locations of the old shield shaped decals.

But here is to what everyone wants to see, pictures!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42 EF66 restoration   M42 EF66 restoration  

M42 EF66 restoration   M42 EF66 restoration  

M42 EF66 restoration  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 EF66 restoration
    P
    Many

Here are a few more detailed pictures of the marks where it appears the original decals were located. The size and shape seem to correspond with the correct size and placement. Since finding them, I am unsure whether to follow my original plan of going full steam ahead and repainting, and instead preserving what is there.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42 EF66 restoration   M42 EF66 restoration  

?

Hi Kurby,I understand your dilemma.
    I have stripped only 3 M42'S from the black paint and there is always at least a pale remnant of the original finish.
    I have been unable to bring myself to repaint these,and in one case I regret stripping it at all.
    It is satisfying to refinish a helmet at least once.
    Perhaps you might choose to repaint with a product that can be easily removed later if you have 2nd thoughts.
    Best of luck