Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M42 Relic Helmet With Camo Cover Remains SS? Preservation Advice

Article about: I recently picked this one up as I thought it was a pretty unique example. Its an M42 relic with remnants of what I think may be an Oakleaf SS camouflage cover. No shot of the helmets right

Default M42 Relic Helmet With Camo Cover Remains SS? Preservation Advice

I recently picked this one up as I thought it was a pretty unique example. Its an M42 relic with remnants of what I think may be an Oakleaf SS camouflage cover. No shot of the helmets right hand side yet to see if there are traces of an SS decal but if the cover is in fact Oakleaf I think there may be a chance of one being there. I was wondering if anyone might have preservation tips for an example like this with the cloth? The shell looks like it would be a good candidate for Oxalic acid treatment but I would be very worried about how that might interact with the cloth remnants as I assume they must be very fragile. Any thoughts or advice are greatly appreciated. Thanks. -JeremyM42 Relic Helmet With Camo Cover Remains SS? Preservation AdviceM42 Relic Helmet With Camo Cover Remains SS? Preservation AdviceM42 Relic Helmet With Camo Cover Remains SS? Preservation AdviceM42 Relic Helmet With Camo Cover Remains SS? Preservation AdviceM42 Relic Helmet With Camo Cover Remains SS? Preservation AdviceM42 Relic Helmet With Camo Cover Remains SS? Preservation AdviceM42 Relic Helmet With Camo Cover Remains SS? Preservation AdviceM42 Relic Helmet With Camo Cover Remains SS? Preservation AdviceM42 Relic Helmet With Camo Cover Remains SS? Preservation AdviceM42 Relic Helmet With Camo Cover Remains SS? Preservation AdviceM42 Relic Helmet With Camo Cover Remains SS? Preservation Advice

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 Relic Helmet With Camo Cover Remains SS? Preservation Advice
    P
    Many

To hard to tell what kind of cloth cover was on it could of been ss, Wehrmacht and the Luftwaffe wore varieties of ss and heer cloths on their helmets and it might be to far gone to show a decal and the acid might take the cloth off so IMO I'd just leave it as is and not risk it.

Quote by TheGoon View Post
    To hard to tell what kind of cloth cover was on it could of been ss, Wehrmacht and the Luftwaffe wore varieties of ss and heer cloths on their helmets and it might be to far gone to show a decal and the acid might take the cloth off so IMO I'd just leave it as is and not risk it.
    Thank you for your reply. Will be interesting to see if there is any decal left on right hand side, that should tell us what type of helmet this is. I certainly don't want to damage the cloth so if leaving this one as is is the only way to do that, that might be the only option. Thanks again. -Jeremy