Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

M42 Restoration - Dent Removal???

Article about: Hi all, My latest project, just picked up a rare Q64 M42 helmet. Nice overall helmet with repro liner and strap for \\$300 including shipping to New Zealand from the United States. Only thing

Quote by NZEF2 View Post
    Yes Quist began this practice on the M40 helmet.
    I see a lot of M35 helmets with Quist markings, but they are all stamped in the middle of the helmet skirt and right temple. Thanks for that info, I learned something new!!!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 Restoration - Dent Removal???
    P
    Many

?

Quote by JohnyWoo View Post
    I see a lot of M35 helmets with Quist markings, but they are all stamped in the middle of the helmet skirt and right temple. Thanks for that info, I learned something new!!!!!
    There are many other members with a lot more knowledge but have been interested in German helmets for a bit so only to happy to help.

?

Default Q64 M42 Ready For Paint!

Here's the shell and rivets pre-treated prior to painting. I like to dress my helmets with Birchwood Casey Plum Browning solution. It gives the steel a nice patina that can be exposed later after painting during the aging process. Next step will be to add a layer of texture to the outside and rivets.

M42 Restoration - Dent Removal???M42 Restoration - Dent Removal???M42 Restoration - Dent Removal???M42 Restoration - Dent Removal???

Glad you're on our side. That patination is scarily like an aged late war oxide finish!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Glad you're on our side. That patination is scarily like an aged late war oxide finish!
    Yes it only gets darker and more gorgeous once finished sorry

?

Default Q64 M42 Painted

Here's the helmet with texture applied and painted. Sprayed the bare steel with a Tamiya dark green can I had left over and while wet used a shaker to scatter oxide powder onto the helmet. Waited until dry and sealed with another coat. Used Tamiya TS-63 Nato Black over this for a nice dark late war final color. Looks almost black in the photos and will lighten after weathering is applied. Will apply clear dull cote tomorrow to flatten the finish further. The site of the repaired dent is pretty well disguised but not perfect and in a way I like the fact it isn't totally hidden. A little light aging and a good quality repro liner which is on the way and be almost done.

M42 Restoration - Dent Removal???M42 Restoration - Dent Removal???M42 Restoration - Dent Removal???M42 Restoration - Dent Removal???M42 Restoration - Dent Removal???M42 Restoration - Dent Removal???

Looks like new! Would be good to see in natural light as you are right, it does look almost black.

?

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Looks like new! Would be good to see in natural light as you are right, it does look almost black.
    Will do, by the time I got this done today it was approaching dusk. Took another pic that I think better captures the color.

M42 Restoration - Dent Removal???

?

Default Flat Clear Added

Helmet now with the flat clear added, looks better now. Some aging to follow.

M42 Restoration - Dent Removal???M42 Restoration - Dent Removal???M42 Restoration - Dent Removal???M42 Restoration - Dent Removal???M42 Restoration - Dent Removal???

?

Default Helmet Assembled

Finally after much delay the helmet is at the aging stage, fitted with top quality Czech made liner and rivets.

M42 Restoration - Dent Removal???M42 Restoration - Dent Removal???M42 Restoration - Dent Removal???M42 Restoration - Dent Removal???M42 Restoration - Dent Removal???M42 Restoration - Dent Removal???

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast