Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

M42 Restoration - Dent Removal???

Article about: Hi all, My latest project, just picked up a rare Q64 M42 helmet. Nice overall helmet with repro liner and strap for \\$300 including shipping to New Zealand from the United States. Only thing

?

Default M42 Restoration - Dent Removal???

Hi all,

My latest project, just picked up a rare Q64 M42 helmet. Nice overall helmet with repro liner and strap for $300 including shipping to New Zealand from the United States. Only thing is she has a couple of nice dings that I will either fill or at least try to lessen if possible prior to refurbishing. Do any of you guys have any suggestions around dent removal. On a solid Quist helmet like this that could be very difficult I'm guessing. Thanks in advance.

Ian

M42 Restoration - Dent Removal???M42 Restoration - Dent Removal???M42 Restoration - Dent Removal???M42 Restoration - Dent Removal???

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 Restoration - Dent Removal???
    P
    Many

Careful you don't crack the dome if you do try whacking it.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

In principle I have nothing against restoration - if the helmet warrants it. But the (attempted) removal of dents is something else. Have you given consideration to how the dents may have got there? These could well be combat-related. So why try to remove them?

?

You would have to anneal (heat) the steel to take out the temper which I wouldn't advise at all.

$300 for this M42 shell is an awfully high price...but that's just me.
    Glenn

I kinda like them! I wouldn't touch it. If you want to get rid of them I think I've seen bondo used. I'm sure searching this forum for "restore" would yield some results.

?

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    $300 for this M42 shell is an awfully high price...but that's just me.
    Glenn
    Not bad when you consider that's including air shipping, a good quality repro liner, chin strap and Waffen SS blurred camo cover!

As long as you're happy, friend...I just don't like seeing fellow collectors spending more money than necessary...
    cheers, Glenn

?

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Careful you don't crack the dome if you do try whacking it.
    I think I'll try a large shallow domed dowel hammered from the inside on damp compacted earth, as suggested heating is not an option and this will only ease the appearance making it less visible from the interior anyway and the rest will be an epoxy filler job.

What's wrong with heating the metal? It's not like you need to retain it's ballistic properties

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast