Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Moth Nip's

Article about: Hello Gent's, I have some questions I hope you all can help with. Well I pulled out my Aunt Annie's WAC CBI uniform to mount up on a mannequin top my daughter got for me( Yes She is My Favor

?

Default Moth Nip's

Hello Gent's,
    I have some questions I hope you all can help with.
    Well I pulled out my Aunt Annie's WAC CBI uniform to mount up on a mannequin top my daughter got for me( Yes She is My Favorite!) and I noticed some moth nips on a couple spots.
    Will these get worse?
    Is there something I can do about them?

I don't remember seeing them before because it always hung on a hanger in my closet. but they are small and I might not have noticed them before, But if there is something I can do please let me know.
    I know the damage is done . Just looking for advice.
    Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Semper Fi
    Phil

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Moth Nip's
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Moth balls, cedar chips and "Bounce" dryer sheets....that's all I have in my weapons pouch.

I've heard others say they store them in sealed garment bags....
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

they won't get worse by themselves but do check for the silk wormy things-

For a repair one thing you can do is find a piece of material over hang from inside (if possible?) cut it up finely and fill the hole using the cut threads & clear craft glue.

I have moth balls scattered around my junk room as well.

JMM
    ?

There has been much debate about moth balls beeing a carcinogen.
    If you don't like the strong odor, camphor will do.

Ive been collecting WW1 wool uniforms for about 35 years. Moths and mice are the devil. Moth ball them if you have a secured war room. Ceder balls work a little. Ive seen some bugs eat ceder balls so its not full proof. If you don't display them, plastic bag them with a moth ball or two and seal them. Also, I keep a mini bug light on in a corner along with two bug light stickys that plug into a power socket. Its astounding how many moths and other evil little creatures get caught sneaking around when the lights go out. I would not ever try and fix moth bite damage. Adds to the character. And yes, moth balls probably give you cancer. What doesn't. Hope that helps.

Forrest

?

Thank you Gent's.
    I will take your information and put it to use.
    I like the bug light idea Forrest.
    The info is very much appreciated!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

You can freeze the items, but it's not the freezing that kils them, it's the change of temperature.... "Although lower temperatures slow down or put a temporary halt to their activities, the clothes moths are usually not directly killed by them. Freezing infested
    woolens can work to kill clothes moths if there is an abrupt change from warm (70° F; 21° C) to freezing (0° F; -
    18° C) and leaving the items for at least 72 hours once the material reaches 0° F. "

https://www1.maine.gov/dacf/php/gotp...hs-cornell.pdf

Oh, one more thing. If you do the bug light, make it the smallest one they make and keep it in a corner and away from anything that can be bleached by the light. Mine is in a corner and out of the way of my uniforms. Still, the best one is the ones that plug directly into the wall socket. Its called Dynatrap. It attracts them with light and the sticky pad behind the light catches them. A little safer then the old style bug lights and works great. Have a good moth free day.

Forrest

?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    they won't get worse by themselves but do check for the silk wormy things-

For a repair one thing you can do is find a piece of material over hang from inside (if possible?) cut it up finely and fill the hole using the cut threads & clear craft glue.

I have moth balls scattered around my junk room as well.
    I'm looking for a thread with info about moth hole repair where i can post pics of my grandfathers uniform.

Phil,
    Freezing is also what I do. Any new wool item I get go into the freezer for a week or two.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast