Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Mould on Leather

Article about: Had an issue with mould mildew on a Luftwaffe trench coat . Worried about affecting the colour I didn't want to use a leather treatment , so I used white vinegar and a cotton rag . It worked

CBH
    ?

Default Mould on Leather

Had an issue with mould mildew on a Luftwaffe trench coat . Worried about affecting the colour I didn't want to use a leather treatment , so I used white vinegar and a cotton rag . It worked great , no colour change only dirt and mould came off . Here are a few photos .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mould on Leather   Mould on Leather  

Mould on Leather  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Mould on Leather
    P
    Many

Chris, how did you determine to use vinegar? I have never heard of that method. Did it impart a vinegar smell to the leather? Never the less, a great coat. Bob

MAP
    ?

Vinegar has so many uses. My wife uses it all the time to remove stains and such.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

mpw
    ?

A good job well done. I had a similar problem with mildew on an old paper poster and used cotton wool soaked in white spirit to gently remove the mould without leaving a stain.

to be honest I've always used a damp rag with water, had to do it recently with my Brit jerkins. I got frightened that the mold it's self made a permanent stain in the leather but the light rub worked

Quote by MAP View Post
    Vinegar has so many uses. My wife uses it all the time to remove stains and such.
    My ex - wife did too, on a daily base!
    She ruined a portait of the Kaiser and a antique globe!
    I divorced here and buy every simillar globe I come by, ever since.
    ;-)
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

CBH
    ?

I knew vinegar was a good mould killer , and I first tried it on a hidden spot of the coat . And I was surprised that it didn't leave a mark or any smell . I'm sure water would work for surface cleaning but I don't think water would kill the remaining mould spores . I believe it would soon grow back .
    Thanks for all the replies and likes , I hope some of our membership will find this useful .

I worked with leather and still do sometimes. Mould can easily be wiped off with a damp rag, but make sure you don't allow anything made of metal to come in contact with damp or wet leather, as it leaves a permanent stain. On occasions I've made items and the leather was slightly damp, as I hand stitch the sewing needles were hanging from the thread. While I put the item to one side, the needles touched the damp area and they left a permanent blue stain, so that was 30+ hours of work ruined.

i thnk this is a great way to keep the leather.