Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mounting medals in box

Article about: Hi all, I am going to order a shadow box to store my still small, but growing collection. I am wondering, what is the best way to mount ribbon medals? As an example, EKII's etc? I don't want

Default Mounting medals in box

Hi all,

I am going to order a shadow box to store my still small, but growing collection. I am wondering, what is the best way to mount ribbon medals? As an example, EKII's etc?

I don't want to pin them through unless there is no simple option, and building any custom mounting is also probably not viable right now since I will be moving/changing/reorganising forever if I know myself

What about double sided mounting tape, will that be strong enough? Would it damage the ribbons if used?

Would love to hear what you use to secure your medals.

Cheers!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Mounting medals in box
    P
    Many

I put holes in the backing and use fishing line. It's strong, doesnt damage the medals/badges and its clear so its not very obvious.

That sounds like a great idea. How do you deal with medals that have just a ribbon - that is, the ribbon is just looped through the ring, rather than tied/joined together? Most of mine are like this, apart from a few Austrian ones, which have the folded ribbon.

?

never never use any tape, glue, sulfuric acid on your medals or ribbons.

I'd never use anything permanent, which is why the only thing I was considering is picture mounting tape, but I'm concerned over possible damage, hence my question

Quote by Iron Hussar View Post
    That sounds like a great idea. How do you deal with medals that have just a ribbon - that is, the ribbon is just looped through the ring, rather than tied/joined together? Most of mine are like this, apart from a few Austrian ones, which have the folded ribbon.
    For items like that, such as 2nd Class Iron Crosses, I replace the backing with a Styrofoam backing and cover it in felt that is the color I want for the background. Then I use a razor to slice slits in the felt and Styrofoam and feed the ribbon through the slit. It usually holds it tighly and the cross hangs very nicely. It's tough to do if you have a cross with a short amount of ribbon, but you can adjust the others accordingly if you are looking for a symmetrical appearance. Somewhere on here I have a thread for this method. I'll try to find it.

Another great idea. I'm going to buy a locally custom made shadow box, so I'll ask the maker what the backing is made with.

Many thanks, you've given me a good path for how to go about this

?

Quote by MD Helmets View Post
    For items like that, such as 2nd Class Iron Crosses, I replace the backing with a Styrofoam backing and cover it in felt that is the color I want for the background. Then I use a razor to slice slits in the felt and Styrofoam and feed the ribbon through the slit. It usually holds it tighly and the cross hangs very nicely. It's tough to do if you have a cross with a short amount of ribbon, but you can adjust the others accordingly if you are looking for a symmetrical appearance. Somewhere on here I have a thread for this method. I'll try to find it.
    I love tight slits.

Here is a link to the thread about my EKII box.

My EKII Shadow Box Display

As said - No glue or tape. The adhesive will eventually
    transfer to the ribbons and leave permanent stains.

Years ago I wrapped green velvet around a large
    piece of cardboard and used long, wide pins to
    attach medal ribbons - similar to the pins
    found on some French medals. I could
    open the door from the front to
    rearrange the medals.

Today I keep medals in Riker cases that can be
    stacked and kept in a drawer.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast