Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

My little project

Article about: I decided to really make something nice looking out of my small collection, so I took one of my finnish m/55 steel helmets that I was supposed to age a few months ago, but didnt get to the r

Default My little project

I decided to really make something nice looking out of my small collection, so I took one of my finnish m/55 steel helmets that I was supposed to age a few months ago, but didnt get to the rusting part. So now I have picked up my project in a new way. I plan to give my helmet a nice coat of rust to make it look older, then I will save up money to buy a german gas mask, which are for sale at a webshop in Finland, and from the same place, buy a repro gas mask can, make it look used and make all of these three things into a display piece.
    The can will serve as the "head", the mask will be on the can like its on a face, and the finnish m/55 will sit on top of it, making it look like a real head. And before anyone asks, I cannot afford a german steel helmet yet, so I will have to stick to the finnish one. Below is an image of the method I am using to rust it, saltwater sprayed helmet inside a plastic bag, thanks to battle gear for the tip!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My little project  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My little project
    P
    Many

Default Re: My little project

I did not remember to take any "before" shots before beginning the process, so here are some, I will post the images of the rusted helmet tomorrow and the following week. The images are a bit old, but that is the condition the helmet was in before I started.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My little project   My little project  

My little project   My little project  

I'm interested to see how it turns out. as long as you're doing this for your own personal enjoyment and not for resale as original

Don't worry, this helmet will see no other collector than me anymore

I took the liner out and submerged the helmet into a bucket of water, I will leave it there for a day or two, even more if I have to. Below are pictures of current amount of rust, achieved in two days of being in a plastic bag with the helmet wet of saltwater.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My little project   My little project  

My little project   My little project  

Almost done, the helmet has been in the bucker for two days and I have the desired amount of rust, did some scrathes to the front of the helmet to gain more rust as it was clean and smooth and put it back in the bucker, I will pick it up tomorrow morning and let it dry in the sun a for a few hours and then post pictures!

zuken good luck in what you are trying to achieve , personally i think its a shame and would of left it as it was i dont think you can substitite 70 years of natural aging over a few days in salt solution just my opinion i quess , do you plan on aging the liner to suit thanks james

Sorry for not updating for a while, messed up my computer. All I want is rust to form, James, so I can make the display piece look good and old, thanks for the reply! I WILL post pictures when I get my computer sorted out!