Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help with K98k bayonet

Article about: A pair of needle nose pliers should do the job, either the straight type or the ones with the bent tips

Default Need help with K98k bayonet

Just bought this 1944 asw K98k bayonet today and the bayonet release button is frozen and sticking out almost all the way, And the bayonet lug channel has rust making it stopwhen I attempt to put it on the rifle to see how much of the rust I'm removing. Any ideas? and I have started to soak in some stuff thats just like WD-40
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help with K98k bayonet   Need help with K98k bayonet  

Need help with K98k bayonet   Need help with K98k bayonet  

Need help with K98k bayonet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need help with K98k bayonet
    P
    Many

Default Re: Need help with K98k bayonet

WD-40 gets rust off of anything its GREAT! - Nick K

?

Just soak it and tap it with a piece of hard wood,that works for me.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Gonna soak it overnight, And it turns out the blade is little bent. Is there anyway that can be fixed?

Dont know, maybe try to straighten in a vice between 2 blocks of wood. Wouldn't hit it with a hammer though!

I'll have to try that. I want to get this back in a condition thats presentible and that can be mounted on my K98k while I shoot it.

?

Its not the rust from stopping the rifle , its the lug, its spring mounted, as the rifle pushes along the groove it forces the lug outwards and once past the lug it falls back into place thereby securing the rifle, the spring might be rusted or become frozen, you may need to clear the internal rust from the groove and gentle tap the securing lug with a piece of wood, before soaking the thing in oil, make sure you remove the hand grips especially if they are wooden

Well I was able to get it to mount the rifle, The button is frozen and depressed inward all the way which I had soaking over night in some stuff called one lube. Which didnt really help at all. So I'm gonna try some WD-40 at a friends today. The grips are bakelite

?

I would still remove the hand grips if possible, old bakelite can be very fragile and soaking in oil can weaken it further especially if the outside of the bakelite is damaged which i see from your photo there is a portion, if the lug flops about when the rust is removed, then the spring could be broken or too weak to reset the lug, hopefully the lug will spring back, but if you decide to remove the grips be very gentle and dont force them off the screw bolts

Is there a certain tool that is need for the grip removal? The previous owner of the bayonet tried to remove them with a regular screwdriver so are some deep gouges in the bakelite

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast