Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need help with some folding shovels

Article about: Picked up two Ames 1945 US folding shovels today. One is in semi relic state(looks like it sat in a lake for some time) and the other in pretty good shape. Now to my problem, both are stuck

Default Need help with some folding shovels

Picked up two Ames 1945 US folding shovels today. One is in semi relic state(looks like it sat in a lake for some time) and the other in pretty good shape. Now to my problem, both are stuck to where the shovel blade is outward. I can't turn the unscrewy part at all, or find a spot to let some WD40 soak in. Any ideas? Someone tried to take a pipe wrench to one to get it to move but that didn't work. So I need your guys help.

Thanks,
    George

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need help with some folding shovels
    P
    Many

Default Re: Need help with some folding shovels

You could try Break Free, but keep in mind it might be rusted beyond turning. Or you could try heating it with a torch and then trying to twist it with a wrench, but be careful the metal may be pliable at that point.

?

Try spraying the whole of the screw turn area , use a liberal amount and repeat it a few times, but before trying to unscrew it, try to tighten it gently, but dont force it, you need to break the rust build up thats set

I let some WD40 sit on the screw part over night but that didn't work. Does anyone have pictures of one of these taken apart and showing the open spots for WD40 to get into?

?

You could try a few things, first you can soak the parts in diesel that’s a very good penetrating oil, or if you feeling brave you could try a acid solution on the thread to break down the rust, or even a little heat on the locking nut to try and free it up. However but be careful as many of these M1943 shovels have alloy locking nut so it would be very easy to damage the nut/boss section if you try and force the nut undone using say a pipe wrench or the knurled grips an engineering vice. The main thing is take your time and whatever method you opt for keep repeating the process until your confident that you can break the hold of the rust over the nut, and not the nut itself.

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

Here's some pictures of the two shovels. Could anyone point out what are the best areas to let the stuff seep into? I might end up doing the heat method if the WD40 doesn't work. I'm hoping to fix these up and display them at some point.

Thanks,
    George
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help with some folding shovels   Need help with some folding shovels  

Need help with some folding shovels   Need help with some folding shovels  

Sorry, George.. You might as well leave them Stay that way. You'll only end up chewing the hell out of them and destroying 'em. I remember these "damned old shovels" locking up and Never coming apart again. It seems like once they lock and corrode inside, they're open for Good. Back in the day, we used to try Everything from propane torches, 2 foot pipe wrenches, bench vises, soaking in penetrating oil....Nothing worked. We ruined Piles of these things. A Great design, the Army had. The nut usually, as said earlier, is made of a soft aluminum like alloy that just grinds and chews itself to pieces, but when they get a Touch of corrosion in them on the threads, good bye Sally. They may as well be welded.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I have same problem with one of my US shovel. I gave up on it

I'll give these shovels a couple more attempts and that doesn't work I'll hang them on the wall and call it good