Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

No. 68 Grenade restoration project.

Article about: Hello, I've been working to try and save a relic No 68, (training), relic from corroding away even more. I know the colour is wrong and it's a bit rough and ready but I needed to check that

Default No. 68 Grenade restoration project.

Hello,
    I've been working to try and save a relic No 68, (training), relic from corroding away even more. I know the colour is wrong and it's a bit rough and ready but I needed to check that the materials used were compatible. The final finishing and correct painting can be done later. I don't know if this is the correct place to put it, but there are more details on BOCN under 'restoration and renovation'.
    The materials used were Plastic metal, Araldite, for sealing the Plastic metal, aluminium paint primer, and xylene based car body spray. All seems pretty strong so hopefully I will be able to finish it in the near future. I will add the last three pictures next.
    Best regards,
    navyman.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture No. 68 Grenade restoration project.   No. 68 Grenade restoration project.  

No. 68 Grenade restoration project.   No. 68 Grenade restoration project.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement No. 68 Grenade restoration project.
    P
    Many

Default Re: No 68 restoration project.

Hello,
    Here are the last three pictures.
    Cheers,
    navyman.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture No. 68 Grenade restoration project.   No. 68 Grenade restoration project.  

Hi guy,
    Very nice restoration you have done there, nice rebuild on that fin
    look original when finished. That will make a good display piece for you.
    dave.

Hello again Dave,
    I've been spending a lot of time on this one. I wasn't sure if it would be possible to re-build the two corroded fins so I started on the less damaged one and then the other which was much worse. It took a two week soak in WD40 before I was able to remove the projectile head. As it was a training round there were no internals, just a non ferrous cylinder, some sort of lead alloy,(?) to make the weight right.
    I would like to get it back to a training grenade colour, matt white, and Drill marking, but if I can't rescue the cast markings it will have to become a 'pretend' inert live one!
    I'm looking for a pin and 'remove before firing' tag. If you happen to find one spare I'd like to buy it?
    All best,
    Guy.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture No. 68 Grenade restoration project.  

Hi Guy,
    That will look the business when finished, i know how much work goes into restoring munitions. I restored a 1917, german grenatwerfer, from the somme a big mud block. It was a sod to dig out but came out ok in the end. still have it in the collection.
    I will ask around for you, i think the best place to ask is the B.O.C.N,
    British Ordnance collectors Network, they are great blokes and very helpfull. they would be the ones to put you right. I have been a member for ages, have a look in there it cant hurt to ask.
    Regards dave.

Hello Dave,
    I've put the details on BOCN, I'm also a member. Paul and Bonnex have been helping me identify the training internals, (installed to get the correct weight).
    I didn't know there were so many variations.
    You mentioned the grenatwerfer, I have one of those, just the body, so am also looking for a fuze and set of fins, any ideas?
    Cheers,
    Guy.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture No. 68 Grenade restoration project.  

Hi Guy,
    Thats good you are onto the B.O.C.N, it,s a good forum isnt it.
    When i got my grenatwerefer, as i said it was in a right state
    so dug it out of the crud, but the fins were nackered.
    Once i had cleaned everything i had to make the new fins i did
    this from some very old tin i had from an old uncle who passed on
    his junk. I copied the fins and they fit loveley, and it came out a nice display piece. You can see the original fins, and how it was in the pic at the back.
    dave.

Navyman, I picked up a practice No.68 last year, it was in good condition but had been repainted buff (HE colour) sometime in its life. There was no striker present in this example, as it was a practice grenade it is likely one was never fitted. I used white primer car spray paint to get it back to the correct white, a very very gentle rub over with fine wire wool and a quick gentle rub with an handfull of soil will give it some age. The black section shown in my photo was a plastic tube (possibly bakelite). Unfortunately I dont have this anymore has i had to sell it to fund my trip to Beltring last year

Hello Dave,
    Thats a nice job. I dont even have the body to fit the fins to. Do you happen to know the larger thread size in the grenade base, I dont have a thread guage?
    All best,
    Guy.

Hello Spotter,
    Thanks for the great pic's. I would have liked to strip mine completely but can't remove the fin section as the fins are so fragile, but your pics show me the interior fine.
    If you find a safety pin and tag anywhere could you let me know,
    Many thanks,
    Guy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast