Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

NSDAP vulc fibre visor reshaping

Article about: Read through some threads re. reshaping visor hats and found some useful info on reshaping the general form and possibly linerband but found no real info on how to reshape the actual visor (

Default NSDAP vulc fibre visor reshaping

Read through some threads re. reshaping visor hats and found some useful info on reshaping the general form and possibly linerband but found no real info on how to reshape the actual visor (circled in photo). It's not damaged or anything, it's just that it (the vulcan fibre visor) has this annoying asymmetrical bend to it (the natural bend is more to its left than center, where it should be) and it's just an annoying thing that makes it look a bit goofy... and I can't help but think it shouldn't be that tough of a fix but I just don't know how.... (you can barely see it in the photo provided due to the angle)

Any advice on this?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement NSDAP vulc fibre visor reshaping
    P
    Many

The damage on said cap is very minor. I would leave it alone, frankly, or risk doing more damage.
    Or, find an unused Ortsgruppe cap.

The lacquer is fragile, as it is old and the vulcan fiber can likely be re shaped, but at the cost of the lacquer finish.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 02-09-2017 at 02:54 AM.

Thank you for chiming in, FB. Yes, the damage is not really all that apparent (especially from that angle) and now that you mention it it's obvious it might have been stored somewhat awkwardly over the years as there are many very fine breaks in the lacquer exactly where it's bent out of shape. The following photo probably illustrates the issue a bit better... it just makes the whole thing look unnecessarily awkward but if it will no doubt damage the visor I'll probably leave it alone....

It is not perfect, yes, but it is still a nice hat and it does not have the normal textile damage.

These things are now very old. When I started at the end of the 1960s, the things were not so old, but they decline on their own.

I am also of an age where the physical wreckage accumulates.

It is a fine piece and what matters is its authenticity.

Some others want things out of boxes and such. As I read all their breathy posts about unused things, my eyes glaze over.

To each his own, says I.NSDAP vulc fibre visor reshapingNSDAP vulc fibre visor reshapingNSDAP vulc fibre visor reshaping

There are real professionals here, mind you, but the lacquer on these declines all of its own accord, especially if it is not well done to begin with, which is generally
    the case with these caps of maximum production at the height of the regime and then in the wake of the Four Year Plan.

I can write you a song about it.

I prefer the early form I and form II caps with the leather peaks, as they wear their age with more grace in a certain manner.

You are entirely correct, of course. I, also, am not a chaser of "mint" or similar condition items--- to the contrary, I'd rather see age and usage than an unused depot piece (although each do have their charms, I recognize this).
    But, nevertheless, in some cases I see issues like this that are minor yet marring to display... I don't know... I certainly agree, it's not a bad hat by any means... it's got some known history to it as well as it came back to the US with a whole pile of other political appendages and related items. I got the hat and a humble NSDAP kampfbinde out of the lot.

I think I'll put it on hold for now but I think I'll reshape the liner band at least, which I do not think would be a problem with regards to possible damage being inflicted. Thanks again for sharing you knowledge and thoughts on the matter --- it is appreciated as always!

Good luck with your collecting. As a result of all these threads, my attitude about things has changed, especially as I see decay all around me.

All of these things of human craft and organic material are temporary, perishable and doomed to vanish at some point. We are trying to retard the process.

So long as the server here operates in some future moment, and even if all these foetid woolens have turned to powder, our record shall endure.....!?NSDAP vulc fibre visor reshapingNSDAP vulc fibre visor reshapingNSDAP vulc fibre visor reshapingNSDAP vulc fibre visor reshapingNSDAP vulc fibre visor reshapingNSDAP vulc fibre visor reshapingNSDAP vulc fibre visor reshapingNSDAP vulc fibre visor reshapingNSDAP vulc fibre visor reshapingNSDAP vulc fibre visor reshapingNSDAP vulc fibre visor reshapingNSDAP vulc fibre visor reshapingNSDAP vulc fibre visor reshapingNSDAP vulc fibre visor reshapingNSDAP vulc fibre visor reshaping

Depending on the angle it's quite nice looking, the only "damage" per se would be the moths having dined on their favourite blue piping...

As an aside; would you happen to know who maker # 104 was?

You can fix the piping with the right wool textile, which is possible. It is a nice cap. You can be happy with it.
    The blue piping is a complete moth magnet.

I think A 1 104 is Kornacker of Hildesheim, but I am not utterly certain.

Wim will tell us.

All I know is these licenses changed constantly, such that I am no longer sure of any of them.

I bought a slug of RZM circulars, and all they are changes to changes. No wonder the Germans lost the war.NSDAP vulc fibre visor reshapingNSDAP vulc fibre visor reshapingNSDAP vulc fibre visor reshaping

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast