Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

paint removal?????

Article about: hi guy's how hard is it to remove black paint from a ww2 german helmet???? without hopefuly, damageing any of the original paint if its still there??? i'm working in germany and been offered

?

Default paint removal?????

hi guy's how hard is it to remove black paint from a ww2 german helmet???? without hopefuly, damageing any of the original paint if its still there??? i'm working in germany and been offered a helmet for 100 euro's

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement paint removal?????
    P
    Many

Default Re: paint removal?????

Still have to see the first helmet with paint removed that looked remotely like it had during WW2 , better buy you and the wife a fancy dinner with that money.

Hi Martc,
    If you are really careful you could use acetone but do a small area to test it, if you find it is coming off ok take your time
    and do a section at a time. when you have done a small piece use a wet / damp cloth to wash to acetone off, and repeat the process until you are fine with your finish. Just dont leave it on to long as it might eat into any paintwork underneath hope this helps.
    Dave.

?

Through past experiences, it really depends on what type of paint was used, some removers will work easier than others, some will be too harsh and interfere with the underlying original paint, its as Frank says unless you are accustomed to proper restoration techniques, there will always be some form of damage to the original paintwork, you really have to decide whether its worth the money, is there an original liner, chinstrap, what markings are there, are there any decals under the black paint, is the black an emulsion, water based, oil based, gloss, satin, matt, all these things will have a deciding factor on what to use, if you are content to give it a go you have to realise that you might never be able to sell it on for its true worth because of the restoration done, its somewhat different when dealing with a relic or semi relic piece that you intend to display only for yourself

?

thanks for replying dave,,and the rest of you guy's,, im trying to get back to the shop where its for sale i want to double check the rivets and the numbers and letters stamped inside???? its bloody frustrating trying to earn a living and juggle your hobby in at the same time?? i picked up a nice dress bayonet and a couple of iron crosses in the last few weeks although the dress bayonet has seen better days it was cheap, also a de-nazified belt buckle with good clear mm inside, regards mart

Quote by martc View Post
    thanks for replying dave,,and the rest of you guy's,, im trying to get back to the shop where its for sale i want to double check the rivets and the numbers and letters stamped inside???? its bloody frustrating trying to earn a living and juggle your hobby in at the same time?? i picked up a nice dress bayonet and a couple of iron crosses in the last few weeks although the dress bayonet has seen better days it was cheap, also a de-nazified belt buckle with good clear mm inside, regards mart
    The collecting bug needs food Mart , try going for quality before quantity though.

?

what do you mean????? those iron crosses i've bought all have maker marks and genuine articles???? in my early days i admit i did buy/got conned, some junk, but although still a beginer i've learned the hard way,,,,

Quote by martc View Post
    what do you mean????? those iron crosses i've bought all have maker marks and genuine articles???? in my early days i admit i did buy/got conned, some junk, but although still a beginer i've learned the hard way,,,,
    I think he means that you should go for items that are in the best condition possible.