Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Panzershreck rocket engine relic

Article about: Hi, I got a piece of a panzershreck rocket that was in relic condition, put it in vinegar for weeks and now its beautiful rust free and pure metal surface but it has become extremely unstabl

?

Default Panzershreck rocket engine relic

Hi, I got a piece of a panzershreck rocket that was in relic condition, put it in vinegar for weeks and now its beautiful rust free and pure metal surface but it has become extremely unstable, as soon as I take it out and dry it, it starts to rust.

I was going to use the hot wax method to preserve it but, when I tried to dried it in the oven it became a rust bucket in minutes...totally orange colored, I put it back in the vinegar and the rust completely disappeared.

Now it rests in a vinegar jar waiting, what are my options?

Please help!

Thanks

this is how it came out of the oven
    Panzershreck rocket engine relic

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Panzershreck rocket engine relic
    P
    Many

Electrolysis or an oxalic acid bath might be good choices, but I'm afraid I can't help you with either. I've used oxalic acid once, with negligible results. I've seen electrolysis work wonders on heavily rusted items, but it requires a rather complex setup that involves things like car batteries. With either of those methods, great care must be observed. Oxalic acid is nasty stuff, and electricity is of course very dangerous.

Regards, B.B.

Presumably you plan to paint it once stabilized? I would think with a heavily rusted light steel object like this you would be better off using one of the chemical products that converts the rust and prevents further rust. I don't think vinegar is up to the job here.

?

Thank you for your replies gentlemen, the vinegar did an excellent job removing the heavy rust coat, scabs, leaving a grey metal surface with 0 rust, even the cone rotates again!

I did the hot wax treatment and liked the end result, the problem was the time spent drying the piece in order to dip it in hot wax, during that time it slightly rusted again because it was extremely unstable and prone to rust in seconds.

It was my first time doing this and loved it so I hope the next one will be better.

Here are a couple of pics of how I received the piece and the end resut after vinegar+hot wax

Sorry for the pics, dont know why they rotate to the left.

Thanks again!

Panzershreck rocket engine relicPanzershreck rocket engine relic