Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Petroleum Jelly Bath Question!

Article about: Hey all, After taking the advice of some of my fellow collectors, i've decieded to give my metals a petroleum bath. This included soaking them in petroleum for 24 hrs. I applied a lot btw. E

?

Default Re: Petroleum Jelly Bath Question!

Best practice is to never ever start soaking anything in anything unless you know what you're doing. You stand a very good chance of ruining or even destroying badges/awards that didn't need any form of preservation. You can reduce pieces of history to scrap metal in one fell swoop and obviously render them worthless.

Always err on the side of caution and before you do anything - ASK!!!!!!!!

If in doubt - don't!

There are hundreds of people here who can advise you, all you need to do is ask before taking any action.

Post some pictures of what you have, what you've done and the results. Please don't think you need to take action if you actually don't. It's not worth the risk.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

I had vacaline on my metals which I believe zinc, maybe 3 hrs. Just wiped it off now lightly because I started to get afriad it destroy them. Nothing changed in my eys execpt on the onces which had white spots, they went away. Can vacaline destroy the metals?

?

If it was vaseline you should be ok but even so, please post photos and ask the question before doing anything. There may be no need at all.
    If there are no signs of zinc pest on your medals, you don't need to touch them.

Oh thank god!!! Heart attack over here. I'd never do ANYTING to hurt the history of any items. THANKS Adrian. Must of read past post incorrect.

?

Please just check before you do anything no matter how well intentioned.

I member cleaned a DKiG recently and has, in effect, ruined it. The value is wiped and is very difficult to sell now.

In the USA petroleum is known as gasoline so that's where the confusion started - a funny example of getting "lost in translation"
    Ask an American to pronounce SOLDER and you get "SODDER" ..... ah English, its a weird language
    Dan
    " When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't grumble, give a whistle "

Well do A. Thanks all agian. If I may ask, what did you do to the Deutsche Kreuz in Gold? How did you clean it, so i never do that, although I not doing anything ANYMORE!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12