Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Preservation and/or restoration of leather helmet chin strap and leather helmet liner

Article about: I have a question about the proper method to preserve or restore the helmet liner, especially the 'pillows', and chin strap of a German WW1 M16 helmet (chin strap has fragmented) and a pre o

Default Preservation and/or restoration of leather helmet chin strap and leather helmet liner

I have a question about the proper method to preserve or restore the helmet liner, especially the 'pillows', and chin strap of a German WW1 M16 helmet (chin strap has fragmented) and a pre or WW2 Finnish Austrian M17 helmet liner and leather Finnish chin strap.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Preservation and/or restoration of leather helmet chin strap and leather helmet liner
    P
    Many

Default Re: Preservation and/or restoration of leather helmet chin strap and leather helmet liner

Sadly, leather once it has dried out and cracked it is unrepairable. With the natural oils gone, it dries & cracks. Like dry rubber, some people use leather treatments or oil but this just glosses the surface and can make matter worse and promote fungal growth as well. Most here will say " leave it alone & don't touch it "

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Default Re: Preservation and/or restoration of leather helmet chin strap and leather helmet liner

As said, leather "once it dries-it dies". If you can preserve it while it's pliable and good-then you have a chance.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."