Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Primer for aluminum

Article about: Hello again, I'm in the process of trying to rescue an inert but badly corroded Brescia grenade. Does anyone recommend a suitable stabilising primer for the fins which are in a bit of a stat

Default Primer for aluminum

Hello again,
    I'm in the process of trying to rescue an inert but badly corroded Brescia grenade. Does anyone recommend a suitable stabilising primer for the fins which are in a bit of a state? I've considered aluminium paint but remember from my days in the forces that we used 'Yellow Chromate' on aluminium superstructures but I havn't seen that for about for 35 years or so. I expect the health and safety stazi have probably banned it along with such useful things like red and white lead! I'll fill the bad bit's with my favourite Chemical Metal which may well be ok to go straight on but don't want the corrosion to continue inwards.
    Any suggestions most welcome?
    Cheers,
    navyman.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Primer for aluminum  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Primer for aluminum
    P
    Many

Default Re: Primer for aluminum

Hi navyman,

My choice would be one of the stabilising primers produced by 'Hammerite', some are particularly for non-ferrous metals.

Hammerite metal primers

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hello Ned,
    Thanks for the good advice, I'll have a look in the auto shop and see what they have in there.
    Cheers,
    Guy.

?

For all non- ferrous metals use an acid etch primer, also known as wash primer and self etch. All are basically the same product and contain an active acidic ingredient which bites and keys into the surface, in some cases this is a phosphoric acid. Finally steer well clear of Zinc Chromate this is very very toxic and is being phased out as it contains Chromic acid / Hexavalent chromium and is a known carcinogenic paint. If you spraying any type of self etch primer then use a full mask, as this stuff is toxic and the acid causes nasty side effects, as it can be absorbed into your body though your eyes.

Nige H
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "