Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Re painting Sten MKII magazine

Article about: Hi I have recently got my hands on a deativated Sten gun but the magazine looks a complete mis match for the gun.Would it be wise to spray paint the magazine?I know there are strong views on

?

Question Re painting Sten MKII magazine

Hi I have recently got my hands on a deativated Sten gun but the magazine looks a complete mis match for the gun.Would it be wise to spray paint the magazine?I know there are strong views on keeping things original but it looks daft to be honest (and rusty).Could any one tell me a brand or make of paint to use please?Just out of curiosity I looked in Halfords and found I was
    spoilt for choice!(The gun will stay as is by ther way!!!)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Re painting Sten MKII magazine
    P
    Many

Default Re: Re painting Sten MKII magazine

Simply buy a new mag. These are not rare and are fairly cheap.

Cheers, Ade.

I obviously can't see the gun and magazine in question, but what do you mean by a miss-match? A magazine is only a means of supplying ammunition to a weapon. And certainly with smg's, it is true to say they were not matched to a weapon by colour! I really wouldn't worry about it. I suppose if you really wanted, you could strip it back to bare metal and experiment with gun-blue creams or the like.

?

Well let me put it this way.The gun is a nice semi gloss black as is the magazine loading tool.The magazine has no paint at all on it and is very pitted .Do I assume it was never painted in the first place or some one rubbed it down as it was in such poor condition? I took Ades advice (see above) and see painted mags in nice condition for sale for about the same price as the paint will cost me.If it was a car I would like the bonnett to be painted just the same as the rest of the bodywork lol

Oh my god - it does sound a bit of a dog! There is little point in trying to do anything with a magazine in that condition considering what they can be purchased for. Is this 'semi-gloss' finish to the weapon original or has it been re-sprayed? the only trouble with re-painting is that you get very poor paint adhesion to the metal. If the paint on the gun is easily scratched off you can guarantee someone has had a go at painting it. it is still worth experimenting with the rough magazine though - just to get the feel of how to go about different restoration techniques. Never get rid of anything, you never know when you may be glad of it.

?

The paint on the gun looks original.Must have been good stuff too!No trace of priming or any thing .Just a thin coat of gloss put directly on the metal!Im amazed its lasted.I was admiring Nige H's Mk1 and wondering what paint he used?Thanks Harry, that sounds like good advice!

The guns didn't receive a primer-coat, and you can be sure it wasn't bog-standard paint. I am sure someone on here will be able to put you right, but I think the original finsh was a form of rust-bluing. It actually looks like a hard black coating, and is not to be confused with the deep blue finish you see on some pistols. I was once told the technique of replicating this finish using ammonium chloride disolved in de-ionised water. The basics are to encourage rust to form on the metal by using the ammonium chloride solution, and then to neutralise it with boiling water. After doing this several times you are left with a hard black finish to the metal. But most gun collectors will tell you that ANY original finish is far better than a total re-finish to a weapon. I know there was a special paint they used on Bren guns, but the name of it escapes my memory right now. I think M3bobby may be the man to help you on that score.

?

I have a mag loading tool which is painted the same.The finnish reminds me of the powder coating that I used to do when I worked in a factory that made frames for office furniture some years ago.Very thin but ever so hard wearing and a faint gloss.Incidently I tried a bit of gun blue on the magazine and it wouldnt take but an air rifle part came up nicely!!

Quote by lew07 View Post
    The paint on the gun looks original.Must have been good stuff too!No trace of priming or any thing .Just a thin coat of gloss put directly on the metal!Im amazed its lasted.I was admiring Nige H's Mk1 and wondering what paint he used?Thanks Harry, that sounds like good advice!
    I believe that those guns were 'parkerized' .......a black oxide coating that will retain a film of oil......it is not paint on those guns......

I once had a mk111 sten and it was definitely parkerized....

Google parkerizing and you will find all the info you need.......