Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Refinish or leave it? Crusty front seam, swivel bale reissue.

Article about: Hello, First of I want to say I normally am totally against refinishing anything, but due to the reissue and terrible condition of this thing I have been pondering it. I got this at the loca

Default Refinish or leave it? Crusty front seam, swivel bale reissue.

Hello,

First of I want to say I normally am totally against refinishing anything, but due to the reissue and terrible condition of this thing I have been pondering it. I got this at the local flea market this weekend for 15 bucks. I just wanted to see what you guys thought about a refinish, and adding all the proper hardware. I am not really in to having thrashed stuff like this, so if you guys just boo me out of here for suggestion a new finish, I will probably just sell it. I know it will not have any collector value, but it doesnt really now IMO. So... what do you guys think? Make it a poll!
    Thanks in advance, as always...

Nathan
    Refinish or leave it? Crusty front seam, swivel bale reissue.Refinish or leave it? Crusty front seam, swivel bale reissue.Refinish or leave it? Crusty front seam, swivel bale reissue.Refinish or leave it? Crusty front seam, swivel bale reissue.Refinish or leave it? Crusty front seam, swivel bale reissue.Refinish or leave it? Crusty front seam, swivel bale reissue.Refinish or leave it? Crusty front seam, swivel bale reissue.Refinish or leave it? Crusty front seam, swivel bale reissue.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Refinish or leave it? Crusty front seam, swivel bale reissue.
    P
    Many

Default Re: Refinish or leave it? Crusty front seam, swivel bale reissue.

I vote to keep as is. It's a nice relic conditioned helmet.

I wouldn't really consider it a "relic" though. I think relic, I think battle field found, original helmet. I think this think was just stored in horrid conditions. Vote accepted none the less, thanks helmetone!

Would be a lot of work to restore - possibly having to give it an initial sandblasting
    to remove flaking paint and gobs of rust, so it might be better to leave this one
    as an 'as found' relic. ( Indeed, a 'relic' is what it looks like.........! )
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks walkwolf. Looks like I might hang on to this until I find me a nice complete original.

Thanks,

Nathan

?

i would keep it as is, I like it

+1, much better as it is than with shiny fresh paint. Buy a broken rusted old .45 to display with it

?

For fifteen bucks you got a nice relic lid. Accept it for what it is and enjoy it. You will never turn back time and it will never be as it once was. Attempting to restore it will not do anything apart from ruin a nice piece of history.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

The nays have it. Thanks for the input from all. This helmet wont be altered. Do you guys think it was reissued in the Vietnam era? From what I have seen that's the conclusion I have drawn. To bad it wasn't stored better.

gijills
    ?

I will add that even though it is a front seam the chin straps are way later late Nam or probally post Nam. they are the clip on type. The Army has probally repainted it several times. I would, and have repainted a couple that I got in that condition. It already is a mix-master.
    Skip