Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11

Relic cleaning - White Vinegar

Article about: by Steve T Can't wait to see the result Datrus ! I have a hard time waiting myself. I will start a restoration of this helmet afterwards.

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    You will lose parts of the plating that has rust under it!....
    But other than that, no problems with nickle. I have experience of this method with nickle and nickle plate horse tack.

Vinegar is a fantastic cleaning agent you can descale kettles / steam irons with it just make sure of a good rinse. It is also excellent for cleaning antiquique french polished furniture.

Regards

MArk
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Relic cleaning - White Vinegar
    P
    Many

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    But other than that, no problems with nickle. I have experience of this method with nickle and nickle plate horse tack.

Vinegar is a fantastic cleaning agent you can descale kettles / steam irons with it just make sure of a good rinse. It is also excellent for cleaning antiquique french polished furniture.

Regards

MArk
    Indeed Mark, i should have been clearer with my answer!...

I understand that, but the question was does White Vinegar damage Nickle plating? Will it corrode Nickle?

If you read the answers from Gunny and I again you will see that the nickle itself will not be corroded by the vinegar but where there is rusting of the steel beneath it that rust will be dissolved and therefore the plating in that area will be loose and flaking. However, the presence of the rust means that the plating is compromised and unsightly anyway so it is a judgement call.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

No idea about Nickle but totally endorse white vinegar which had no effect on the brass clips on this rifle/pisol cleaning kit tin,
    soaked for 48 hours with great results.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11