Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Relic cleaning - White Vinegar

Article about: by Steve T Can't wait to see the result Datrus ! I have a hard time waiting myself. I will start a restoration of this helmet afterwards.

Red face Re: Relic cleaning - White Vinegar

And finally the result:

PLEASE NOTE:
    Before you say that you can barely see any difference, there is.
    Also consider this:
    Most of the rounds have been laying in the wet ground, they are in the worst possible condition, before the cleaning, I couldn't even see the outline of markings on the rounds. The flash on the camera also plays a big part here, they look much better in real life.

A couple of examples of this:

If you compare this to the results, you might see a bit of a change.

The results:

The best result:
    Before:

After:

The most corroded:
    Before:

After:

The Krag round, when I found this one it was just a big cake of rust, it didn't even resemble a round:

Before:

After:

And last, but not least, the modern one(Or not really, it's from 1981), for some reason it is very hard to clean:

Before:

After:

All in all, I am quite happy with the result.

In the end the box looked like this:

Round two:

And a little twist:
    Pick a round yourself, and follow it trough the entire process, tell me which one you want to follow and I will post detailed pictures
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Relic cleaning - White Vinegar   Relic cleaning - White Vinegar  

Relic cleaning - White Vinegar   Relic cleaning - White Vinegar  

Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Relic cleaning - White Vinegar
    P
    Many

Default Re: Relic cleaning - White Vinegar

i have tried vinegar and it has gone well..it is good method. ( i brushed the relic and with ash and then again puted for hours in vinegar.good result)

?

Ive been using vinegar for years - I was told about it as a cleaning technique by my late grandfather. What I also do, on the final clean - up is to use a fine nylon abrasive pad, (the double sided ones used for cleaning pots and pans) or old toothbrush with either BICARBONATE OF SODA or common SALT as a mild arasive.
    I also use lemon juice with bicarb or salt to clean up, again in conjunction with a pan scourer/tooth brush.

Regards etc

Ian D
    AKA: Jimpy

Guys don't clean brass by bathing your relics in vinegar you'll ruin the brass (brass alloy) cover(the casings will end up red like on the pictures) ! Spray them with just a bit of it mixed with water or use electrolysis method.

?

Here is my contribution to this very interesting thread. I have chosen to go for one of my old relic M35 helmets (I think it's an M35). I'm not so good at spotting the difference in the vent holes. I went to the supermarket and bought 10 liters of vinegar, and dumped the helmet in plastic bowl. After filling i sealed it up in large garbage bag and closed it with a wire strip. When finished i will flip it around so the helmet skirt also will be cleaned.

Helmet and vinegar

Relic cleaning - White VinegarRelic cleaning - White VinegarRelic cleaning - White Vinegar

Relic cleaning - White VinegarRelic cleaning - White VinegarRelic cleaning - White Vinegar

Helmet, now with 8L vinegar

Relic cleaning - White VinegarRelic cleaning - White Vinegar

All there is to do now, is wait. Because the helmet is not fully submersed, there should be a clear line between "then & now".

Hi
    Thank you for the tips and pics you show on this thread, most interesting i will use the method on my next items i find.
    thanks dave.

Quote by Kanonier Tokarz View Post
    Guys don't clean brass by bathing your relics in vinegar you'll ruin the brass (brass alloy) cover(the casings will end up red like on the pictures) ! Spray them with just a bit of it mixed with water or use electrolysis method.
    I have not had that problem, most of the casings were already red because of all the corrosion, and the ones that are in good condition have not turned red either. I might try other method as well to figure out the best way of cleaning them, but so far, this one is the best(For me at least).
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

?

Quote by Collectorww2 View Post
    I have not had that problem, most of the casings were already red because of all the corrosion, and the ones that are in good condition have not turned red either. I might try other method as well to figure out the best way of cleaning them, but so far, this one is the best(For me at least).

Got to agree with Vegar on this one.

When I have used the vinegar/bicarb/salt treatment, I have not had any obvious colouration changes in the alloys, other than rust removal(!) HOWEVER, I usually have a small bowl/dish of water alongside and regularly intermix the vinegar cleaning with water cleaning so this may have something to do with it

BUT, like Vegar above, the technique that I normally use, works for me.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Can't wait to see the result Datrus !

I've used vinegar for years to clean many objects and have Always had very good results. Especially on zink and bronzes. It's usually a darn good corrosion remover and most incrustations in it loosen to the point where a soft bristle tooth brush being able to remove anything else remaining. You do have to monitor them closely, though, and be careful to not leave them in the bath Too long, as they can actually get Shiny sometimes. William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast