Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Relic M1,

Article about: Hi, This U.S, M1 helmet was found last year 07, on a trip to Normandy, it was found by the edge of a field not far from Utah beach. It was in such a state that it was crushable, the rim was

Default Relic M1,

Hi,
    This U.S, M1 helmet was found last year 07, on a trip to Normandy, it was found by the edge of a field not far from Utah beach.
    It was in such a state that it was crushable, the rim was nearly off and a part was rusted away. I have restored it and repainted it to stop anymore rust. and it displays well. I would say that the damage to it was from a
    mortar round as it has gone through the left side and exited the front there is also shrapnel holes on the right side of the helmet.
    panzer 3 Dave.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Relic M1,
    P
    Many

Default Re: Relic M1,

Cool, i didn't know you could find stuff like that anymore. Thanks for shareing.

/Mick

?

Sweet find!! I too would left it as is but, cleaning it up makes the helmet a nice display.

It's a good clean up job. Being the shape it was in,why not? If it was a German one..perhaps not. Yours makes for a good display. Also, maybe it was just used for target practice. (lets hope)

?

Thanks for the interesting post, I found quite a few items in a field behind Utah Beach, and dont mind saying where, west of the campsite near to the Museum
    there is a field before the sports track, here was found many an item,now exhibited in the Utah Beach Museum, including flattened shaving cream tubes, stainless mess forks, M1 helmet shell, and close to 400 x 50 cal cartridge cases

Hi,
    Carna,
    That is good to know someone else has found pieces from that area, I found some nice rounds up the beach left of the camp site near the bunkers. There are still some to find if you look carefully
    I loved it and went off into the fields to, beyond where it was flooded in the war. Hope to go back very soon with my son.
    dave.

Hi Mate,

Nice one, when looked really closely i winced, that kind of damage.......

As least it is now being respected as a historical find .....

Cheers
    Gaz

Hello Dave,
    Have you any pictures of the helmet before conservation?
    I think that when a relic is in such a frail condition as you describe, preserving it as you have done is the right thing to do. After all, in a few years time it would just be a pile of rust and of no use at all.
    All best,
    Guy.

Hi guy,
    Nice to hear from you again, Hope alls well with you, I only have one oic of the inside of the helmet after i did some work on it.
    It was in a state when i got it home, but as you say it probable wouldnt last long and i didnt want to keep it in a box.
    I had to wire it to keep it together i still havent finished the inside yet.
    Dave.

Pz3,What is that you have done to it? Is that plaster of paris or something? Ron