Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Relic M35 rust removal, electrolysis or oxalic acid?

Article about: Personally I'd say in your case use the oxalic acid method on this helmet, as it appears from your pictures that a lot of the original paintwork is still intact. If you use caustic soda on l

Default Re: Relic M35 rust removal, electrolysis or oxalic acid?

that is a great helmet... can't wait to see how it comes out. I have a special one coming too and will probably do a similar thing.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Relic M35 rust removal, electrolysis or oxalic acid?
    P
    Many

Hi FranzJon,

I'll be sure to take notes on how I go about this so hopefully I can provide some advice for when you try to tidy your lid up. Be sure to post photos when yours arrives!

Glenn

I just thought of another question.

Should I remove the liner before the oxalic treatment? Will the acid affect the aluminium?

hello there.that is realy nice ground find helmet.to be honest i would left it as it is.not cleaned-untouched it looks realy LIVE.all profi cleaning for this will be like try to MAKE UP OLD MOM-with hope to 18 years old girl.just my opinion.good luck with it,don,t destroy this old mom

To be honest, I would leave it as found too.....I think the wood stuck to it adds to it.

Cheers, Ade.

?

My point of view. If that will be so bad and rusty, then you can clean it. But surely this example is fine with a lot of character. If you still want to clean it, my advice is a soft washing in the light dissolved Oxalic acid at approx 20%, which is approx 100 gr to 8 liter of water. Just wash it all the time and keep no more than 5 minutes, all the time remove it from the acid and wash with water and washing powder with spounge. Acid must be approx 40 Grad celcium warm
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

If he chooses to leave the lid as it is, won't he face the problem that the rust will go on eating more and more metall? I think he has to give the helmet some kind of treatment against the rust but keeping the wood as it is.. It would be a shame if the helmet simply rots away over the years..

cheers,

Btw.. don't use the scrubbing end of a spounge this could damage the helmet.. scratches etc..

If the wood falls away in the acid and there is a nasty big hole underneath then i'll keep the wood and put it back in place.

Regarding damage from scrubbing, well i'll be careful how I go but it is a steel helmet after all and a light scrub in the rusty areas won't ruin things I think.

I must say I like all the opinions and comments, it would be good to have a permanent sticky thread regarding such preservation techniques as the opinions are quite varied and it would be useful to see people's experiences and results in one place. I see one advice recommending a 24 hour soak in the acid and one advice saying no longer than 5 minutes! Wow, thats a diversion of advice there!

It depends what kind of solution u use.. you can use a solution of 100 grams to 8 liter but you also can use a solution of 100 grams to 1 liter of water.. It depends how you look at it..
    By using the scrub end of a spounge or what so ever you could create little "trenches" in the helmet, these can allow the rust to settle and come back.. Soaking in an electrolyses bath or a acid bath will clean the helmet of rust.. I use linseed oil after the process to "protect" the helmet...

cheers,

ps. a sticky thread is a good idea..

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    If the wood falls away in the acid and there is a nasty big hole underneath then i'll keep the wood and put it back in place.

Regarding damage from scrubbing, well i'll be careful how I go but it is a steel helmet after all and a light scrub in the rusty areas won't ruin things I think.

I must say I like all the opinions and comments, it would be good to have a permanent sticky thread regarding such preservation techniques as the opinions are quite varied and it would be useful to see people's experiences and results in one place. I see one advice recommending a 24 hour soak in the acid and one advice saying no longer than 5 minutes! Wow, thats a diversion of advice there!
    Dima,s certainly knows what he talks about.i mean helmet cleaning and conservation adviced from him:NO DOUBTS.but also i believ it,s like reaching the same target using different ways!good luck with this helmet!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast