Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Relic M35 rust removal, electrolysis or oxalic acid?

Article about: Personally I'd say in your case use the oxalic acid method on this helmet, as it appears from your pictures that a lot of the original paintwork is still intact. If you use caustic soda on l

Default Re: Relic M35 rust removal, electrolysis or oxalic acid?

Try to put your helmet in solution of Na2CO3, it is more effective than NaHCO3, than wash it in running water and then dry it very fast with towel, it will be a bit wet and immediately spray gun oil, I use BRUNOX, it is softer than WD-40, don't rub oil off, I just put the helmet in sun when weather is hot and oil will dry and paint will be a bit darker.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Relic M35 rust removal, electrolysis or oxalic acid?
    P
    Many

Thankyou for the advice!

OK, following on from yesterdays very kind advice I went home and applied a coat of renaissance wax over the helmet. I don't have access to gun oil and I figured WD40 would be too sticky and shiny and might attract dust. The wax darkened up the paint to a nice degree and now I can clearly see the original paint and the reissue paint layers, so much so that the lid looks like it has a camo job of some sort!

This is as good as it's going to get and i'm happy with the result...now its time to start looking for some later model helmets!

Great job! And what is name of that wax, I want it too

Here is example of M40 cleaned in my way, but it is not oiled.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Relic M35 rust removal, electrolysis or oxalic acid?   Relic M35 rust removal, electrolysis or oxalic acid?  

Relic M35 rust removal, electrolysis or oxalic acid?   Relic M35 rust removal, electrolysis or oxalic acid?  

Relic M35 rust removal, electrolysis or oxalic acid?   Relic M35 rust removal, electrolysis or oxalic acid?  

I bought the wax off ebay from a UK seller, a little seems to go a long way and it certainly brings the colour up, adds a slight sheen and makes the helmet smell nice too!

Renaissance Wax Polish 200 mls 7 fl.ozs - eBay (item 120513704163 end time Jan-29-11 02:19:37 PST)

Cheers
    Glenn

Thanks!

I use self-made solution of Cosmoloid H 80 wax in white spirit for my dog tags. It cost much cheaper than Yours, but Your result is fantastic.

?

Gday all,

Here is a M35 I have, bit of rust, but I have heard oxialic acid may help. What ratio of acid to water may workin cleaning this one up???
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Relic M35 rust removal, electrolysis or oxalic acid?   Relic M35 rust removal, electrolysis or oxalic acid?  

?

Qotd, to be honest i dont think your lid needs anything to combat rust, the interior could be cleaned with a very fine steel wool, as for the exterior i think using oxalic on this would remove original paint and possibly some portion of the decal

?

Thanks for that....would some warm soapy water on the exterior be ok just to clean it up a bit, mainly talking about the white substance around the vent holes. That piece of wood glued in there wouldn't be period would it? I sm leaning more to it being added post war for some reason

And just out of interest, the square shape in the paint work on the inside at the back there I am curious about...any thoughts?

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast