Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Removing paint in a safe manner

Article about: Hello again, I just purchased (it's being shipped to me) a nice m35 Quist helmet, that appears to be post war painted. I like to restore helmets and this helmet is a good candidate due to pr

Default Removing paint in a safe manner

Hello again, I just purchased (it's being shipped to me) a nice m35 Quist helmet, that appears to be post war painted. I like to restore helmets and this helmet is a good candidate due to production numbers and maker but...... in the pictures I'm able to see Luftwaffe eagle on the left side and remains of decal on the right side. If I can preserve what's underneath the ugly paintjob that would be wonderful. I don't want to post any pictures from the seller since they are horrible; I'll snap really good photos when I get the helmet. In mean time I would like to get proper supplies in order to uncover and save the decals. If anybody has previous experience please let me know....... best regards JW00000000.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Removing paint in a safe manner
    P
    Many

" I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Im also having problem seeing photos........ but thanks for the post. I was thinking about acetone??

Many people seem to report success using acetone and cotton balls. Applied sparingly, using alot of cotton balls and probably taking a long time but slow and steady should ensure the underlaying paint and decals are saved as much as possible.

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Many people seem to report success using acetone and cotton balls. Applied sparingly, using alot of cotton balls and probably taking a long time but slow and steady should ensure the underlaying paint and decals are saved as much as possible.
    I will do just that, slow and steady............ i cant wait to get it and share photos; it looks like an interesting piece.

Pictures are coming.
    Last edited by JohnyWoo; 07-01-2015 at 03:11 AM.

Quote by Glenn66 View Post

That's what I did......... and results are AMAIZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got it today and already worked on it. Here are pictures before, totally untouched......Removing paint in a safe mannerRemoving paint in a safe mannerRemoving paint in a safe mannerRemoving paint in a safe mannerRemoving paint in a safe manner

I was really exited since I was able to see swastika and eagle underneath the pain; I didn't know the condition of the decal but I remained positive. After application of acetone with cotton ball ( I rubbed it really quick but with super wet cotton ball to make the paint soft) I used my nail to remove the paint (small piece by piece). I was trying to avoid anything metal, or plastic with sharp edge; I even refused to use wood since I would not have the same control / feeling that I have with my nail. Well sounds dumb but.......... I saved the entire decal.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast