Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Removing post-war added piece of tape from helmet?

Article about: I've just taken receipt of a veteran bringback M40 Heer and it's got this post-war added piece of masking tape with the name of the vet's son written on it. So, it's added post-war and on to

Default Re: Removing post-war added piece of tape from helmet?

Oh... that's good to hear. Thanks, Dave. I'd still like to at least have the springs (?) bent back into the correct position again to rectify the appearance of the inside/liner somewhat. As I see it it's probably already been out once post-war so I don't really view this as "messing" with the lid in any way.... what do you think?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Removing post-war added piece of tape from helmet?
    P
    Many

?

The thing i would be mainly worried about is that the steel springs have been bent around quite sharply,trying to bend them back into shape might snap the metal of that age, the only sure way would be to heat them and gently bring them round but that would remove the temper and from what i can see theres no room to apply any type of heat, bearing in mind all this has to be done in situ you have to consider how much damage you could be doing to the leather, it looks pretty beat up to me therefore could be a bit fragile, this is one of those occassions where you have to weigh up all your options and assess the possible outcome very carefully, the only other way i can think of is to obtain a pair of rolled edge pliers and try to gently pull the metal straight by running the spring through the jaws, but again the leather needs to be protected

Hmmm, yeah... you're absolutely right. There's definitely some risk of added damage to consider. I need to think this one over a bit but at this point I'm actually leaning towards leaving it alone. There's so much tension from where the strings are bent that I am definitely not able to remove the leather without ripping it... the 5+ points where the springs have been bent over are also right over where the liner pins are situated making it near impossible for me to bend them back to take the whole liner system out.

So, although it hurts me to say so, at least for now I will leave the bent springs alone... .

The leather itself however is still soft and pliable but fragile. Would treating it with something help it from drying up and falling apart completely? I understand that there's probably some discoloration to be taken into account if it's treated but I'd rather have that than the leather literally dying on me.

?

You could try using a thin film of petroleum jelly, ie vaseline and very carefully wipe the leather over working from the rim and towards each tongue in turn or if you can get it there "Sheratons leather basalm"its a white balsalm but it rubs in neutral and may only slightly change the colour but should go back to nearly normal once absorbed

I followed your advice and treated the liner with some vaseline and then I thought... 'what the hell, why not..'.. So I dug up a pair of suitable pliers per your instruction and went to town on the bent springs.
    After I had bent back the first one, which required a bit of force, the tension on the rest of the springs was alleviated quite a bit and it allowed me to bend them all back with increasing ease.... now it finally looks "correct" and in my opinion it's a vast improvement on its overall appearance compared to before. I'm a happy camper once again

Removing post-war added piece of tape from helmet?

Fortune favours the brave....
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Outstanding job, it's great to see that everything worked out for you! Nice helmet!
    Glenn

Thanks guys... I'm just really really happy that I finally managed to revert it back to how it once was - plus now I know a hell of a lot more about how these things are put together!

I'll try to have some decent shots taken and post in the helmets thread soon

?

Glad I could help you

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3