Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Restoration of an British MKII helmet

Article about: by Adrian Stevenson Looks like a 41 to me. Cheers, Ade. Looks like 41 to me also. Ian D

Default Re: Restoration of an British MKII helmet

Ok, found some markings---III, 1940,does this mean the helmet was manufactured in 1940? your opinions please. cant see anything on the helmet itself.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Restoration of an British MKII helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Restoration of an British MKII helmet
    P
    Many

Quote by NunoGTI View Post
    Ok, found some markings---III, 1940,does this mean the helmet was manufactured in 1940? your opinions please. cant see anything on the helmet itself.
    Yes, that's a date of manufacture! It's not unusual to find dates and maker marks there, if they are not stamped on the shell.

Regards, Giorgos

This helmet might well be a WW1 Mk1 helmet that was brought up to Mk1* standard in 1940. The chinstrap post was probably placed there in 1940 as a replacement for the WW1 post with split rivet.

In the underside of the brim there should be some markings visible: letters and figures, indentifying the manufacturer.

"MkIII 1940" does not indicate a producer nor the year of production of this helmet, but the type of chinstrap post and of course the year of placing it there.

What did the liner look like that you removed?

Cheers,
    Emile

its this one, but its a fake, so is the chinstrap
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Restoration of an British MKII helmet  

I found a very faint " J S" a 4 and a Faint "0", so its probably JSS 40. Tell me what you see.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Restoration of an British MKII helmet   Restoration of an British MKII helmet  

Iv underlined the markings on red

I stand corrected on my first post!

JSS is plausible, that would be manufactured by Joseph Sankey and Sons, Bilston, Midlands. If my eyes don't play tricks on me though, I can see 41?

Regards, Giorgos

Quote by gi0rgos p View Post
    I stand corrected on my first post!

JSS is plausible, that would be manufactured by Joseph Sankey and Sons, Bilston, Midlands. If my eyes don't play tricks on me though, I can see 41?

Regards, Giorgos
    But it cant be, if the chinstrap was posted in 1940

?

Nuno

Just a suggestion, try wiping some powdered chalk into the markings, it should make them stand out a bit more clearer, and its not permanent.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Looks like a 41 to me.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast