Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Restoration of Model 295 Luftwaffe Goggles

Article about: Hi, I recently bought a pair of Model 295 goggles, that were in bad shape and tried to restore them. You can see the photos of it's initial condition, and the last one is how the items came

Sierraxray
    ?

Default Restoration of Model 295 Luftwaffe Goggles

Hi,
    I recently bought a pair of Model 295 goggles, that were in bad shape and tried to restore them. You can see the photos of it's initial condition, and the last one is how the items came out after cleaning them. I dismandled the goggles washed the strap and foam cushion with detergents and cleaned the metallic parts with citric acid (then I sprayed them with anti-rust licquid because I was afraid further erosion).
    I have some questions:
    1) as you see the foam cushion is ripped in the middle and well deformed. I am currently trying to glue the ripped part and as I see from photos there was a leather patch reinforcing it so I will try to add it later. My major problem is reshaping the foam. Is there any way of reshaping it (ex hot water, silicon, other stuff)?
    2) I will also try to make a copy of the foam cushion in order to produce a molded copy. Is there any one who has done it? I could also buy one copy instead of making it all alone.
    3) Does any have a broken pair of googles that may have a better foam cushion to sell?
    4) any other advice?

2. # ADS

nice job sofare.

Sierraxray
    ?

Thanks. For the moment, I decided not to do much efford. I glued the ripped foam between the eyes and added a leather pad between the eyeframes (It existed in the original but was ripped off and lost). Too good comparing to what it was before...
    Though I am interested in finding anyone who has done copies of the foam cushion. I would like to have a better looking one (I will keep the original though).

?

From that view you did a fantastic job for display purposes
    Semper Fi
    Phil