Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Restored German helmets

Article about: Model40, Super restoration!!! I love what you have done, if you like I can refer you with a person who does good M16, 17and 18 liners, I love your M16 reissue with M31, well done. I am going

int826
    ?

Default Re: Restored German helmets

I am brand new to this forum, found it while doing research on WW2 German Helmets. I purchased a German helmet a couple of years ago at an antique car flea market in Vermont, I paid $20 for it. The helmet had been repainted olive drab. I just got it out to look at it and do some research on its origin. The helmet still has the original liner minus the chin strap. The markings on the shell are SE68 on one side and 0001 on the back. The liner appears to be stamped with D.K.P. Schberth Werkeh-G 1936.

I have a couple of questions: I think I understand the helmet markings - the SE represents the manufacturer name, the 68 is size and the 0001 on the back represents a serial or lot number; I am not so sure on the liner markings, I believe the 1936 would make the helmet a M1935? I am unsure about the other Markings: D.K.P. and the Schberth Werkeh-G?

I am also compelled to remove the outer layer of paint (olive drab), a couple of chips came off and there appears to be machine gray underneath. Any thoughts on removing this outer layer of paint, I would like to try to get just the outer layer off.

Thanks in advance for any advice or info.

Mark

2. # ADS

?

Default Re: Restored German helmets

Well theres various methods , all have been discussed here in this section, the first thing is to find out what kind of paint it is, then to decide what kind of remover you need, the only problem you will have is continually checking to make sure your not removing original paint and that it will take a lot of patience

Default Here's my restored M16

Here are pics of my restoration project. original M16 shell with repro liner, decals, chinstrap. "aged to perfection" lol!
    This is for display only and won't be brought on the market for sale.

Restored German helmetsRestored German helmetsRestored German helmetsRestored German helmetsRestored German helmets

?

Quote by Pumawerk View Post
    Here are pics of my restoration project. original M16 shell with repro liner, decals, chinstrap. "aged to perfection" lol!
    This is for display only and won't be brought on the market for sale.

Restored German helmetsRestored German helmetsRestored German helmetsRestored German helmetsRestored German helmets
    Hi Pumawerk,

Love the job you did on the M16 reissue, nice collection filler.

Hi, I have a few helmets and one or two have been horribly repainted or are wrecked. I also collect diecast vehicles and once again some have been repained or are ply damaged. I know that the purists in both fields condemn repainted or refurbished specimins but why? If you refurbish either in order to decieive then yes, it is totally out of order. However, if you come accross an item that is in such poor order that it no longer has a collector or historic value then who are you hurting if you bring it back to a reasonable standard and condition?? Ergo, Imperial War Museum, full of refurbished vehicles and aircraft etc. Vehicle collectors who glory in the refurbishment of their "star" items do it. Furniture restorers do it! If you scratch your car or front door, what do you do? Leave it in "as found " condition? No, you repair or repaint it. Items of historic value should not be fiddled with, agreed, but the abused or scruffy/wrecked bit of militaria, vehicle or piece of furniture or indeed Dinky toy, why not give it a new lease of life? I call it preservation!! It even happens to multi million pound paintings.

Hope I have'nt trodden on any toes!!

Cheers Michael Ryan

Nice restorations guys I am in the camp if you can save a helmet do so I know a lot will say they have no valuable as collectibles but I think as long as one is honest and restoring it for his collection there is nothing wrong with it. I had a original ET71 Paratroop shell that was horribly painted black in the late 70's when I got it I still have it it had a small jagged hole in the back from probably schrapnel I stripped it carefully looking for original FG and found none so not much could be done with it but to restore it obtained some FG more early green and painted it sent it George Petersen Natl Capitol his sales a well known old dealer and he installed a liner and a high quality decal it looks great and I would not part with it. timothy

?

Quote by Michael Ryan View Post
    Hi, I have a few helmets and one or two have been horribly repainted or are wrecked. I also collect diecast vehicles and once again some have been repained or are ply damaged. I know that the purists in both fields condemn repainted or refurbished specimins but why? If you refurbish either in order to decieive then yes, it is totally out of order. However, if you come accross an item that is in such poor order that it no longer has a collector or historic value then who are you hurting if you bring it back to a reasonable standard and condition?? Ergo, Imperial War Museum, full of refurbished vehicles and aircraft etc. Vehicle collectors who glory in the refurbishment of their "star" items do it. Furniture restorers do it! If you scratch your car or front door, what do you do? Leave it in "as found " condition? No, you repair or repaint it. Items of historic value should not be fiddled with, agreed, but the abused or scruffy/wrecked bit of militaria, vehicle or piece of furniture or indeed Dinky toy, why not give it a new lease of life? I call it preservation!! It even happens to multi million pound paintings.

Hope I have'nt trodden on any toes!!

Cheers Michael Ryan
    My toes are safe, agree with you 100%. Hope to submit the M16 restore thread again, this time free of cross forum debate. My mistake was to place a restored helmet in the original helmet section, accept that fully....my bad. M16 is a post war repainted shell used by a biker by the looks that needs some TLC, ordered a new reproduction liner rivets and strap for it. Should be fun. Watch this space.

Hi, Glad to hear that toes are safe and that you agree!!! Looking forward to seeing your restorations.

Regards Michael R

?

Quote by Michael Ryan View Post
    Hi, Glad to hear that toes are safe and that you agree!!! Looking forward to seeing your restorations.

Regards Michael R
    Hi Michael,

Hey no problem bro, received the helmet today. Is a very tidy shell apart from the odd dent and a small fracture but we can rebuild him.

cheers,
    Ian C

Hi Ian, Good, I am looking forward to seeing it. Don't forget to do both before and after photos for comparison!!
    Cheers MR

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4