Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Restoring a M35

Article about: Thanks mate I have not been totally gone, but not much time for sitting and sending helmets at night. Things start to be relatively normal now. all the best, Lars

?

Default Re: Restoring a M35

Thanks mate I have not been totally gone, but not much time for sitting and sending helmets at night. Things start to be relatively normal now.

all the best, Lars

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Restoring a M35
    P
    Many

?

The helmet is now primed and painted. It became a South Eastern Front( Caucasus) camo, or my interpretation of it. My idea was to make a helmet as a soldier would have done it on his Felgrau Dunkel colored helmet. With what ever color available. So i got the "DAK" sand color that is often seen on the Eastern Front as well. I have pinted the helmet in Feldgrau Dunkel and DAK sand. Both in correct color (RAL) code. I am still waiting for the vent holes. It's a M35 lid. I have deliberately kept the brush markings for "originality" I hope you like it.

Regards, Lars

Restoring a M35 Restoring a M35 Restoring a M35

Restoring a M35 Restoring a M35 PICT0082.jpg

Restoring a M35 PICT0081.jpgRestoring a M35

Restoring a M35 Restoring a M35

Looks great man. Are you going to wear this on your expeditions?

just a point to mention that jim jacques also refurbs lids if you dont want the hassle,send the shell and he will fit air vents and paint it,for a fee of coarse,either way all the best dave,and he's very reliable too.

?

Quote by moaning minnie View Post
    just a point to mention that jim jacques also refurbs lids if you dont want the hassle,send the shell and he will fit air vents and paint it,for a fee of coarse,either way all the best dave,and he's very reliable too.
    Thanks for the tip mate, but i like to do it myself. Instead of doing scale models. I made this one up of a very poor condition relic helmet. About 20 Euro worth. Would not do this to a good relic lid.

Regards, Lars

?

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    Looks great man. Are you going to wear this on your expeditions?
    You never know. I have actually thought about bringing this vet out to the front again and take some pics. I think i will bring back some of the heavy thread and make a wire helmet. I always find some of the original wires out there. The thick 2mm stuff. Could be cool

?

Now fitted with liner. A pretty shoddy one but i got for free from a friend. My next project will get a better liner than this. As you can see i left the areas with the stamps in non painted condition, to show it is a restored helmet and to so one can still read the LOT Nr. and ET62 stamp.

Restoring a M35

Restoring a M35

Restoring a M35

Restoring a M35

G'day Mate youv'e done a great job well done! Are you going to "Age" it?

?

I have not done aging so far. I don't know if i should actually

Cheers mate

Quote by Datrus View Post
    Update

Here is the result after the first rough sanding. Next step is to fill the remaining small dents and the edge of the skirt. Then a fine sanding. I hope this can be a help to people who is thinking about taking on a similar project.

If i had a slower reacting filler i would have been able to fill all the dents the first time.

Attachment 292247Attachment 292246Attachment 292245Attachment 292248Attachment 292249Attachment 292250
    Hello Datrus,
    I can tell just by looking at the photos, you have used way to much car bondo. I know how hard it is to sand car bondo inside of a round helmet; been there done that. For next restoration try to use minimum amount of bondo and use grey primer in between layers; primer will show you where more bondo is needed and you wont have to sit there for hours and "wax in" wax" out" with sand paper in your hand.
    Anyway, great looking helmet!!!!!! Great work, cheers !

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5