Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Restoring a M42 helmet

Article about: Hello Gents. I have bought a M42 for next to nothing, as a restoration project. It is ground dug but in really good shape. It of course has some pitting, but that's it. There is nothing spec

?

Default Restoring a M42 helmet

Hello Gents. I have bought a M42 for next to nothing, as a restoration project. It is ground dug but in really good shape. It of course has some pitting, but that's it. There is nothing special about it, so posting pics is not needed i think. I do have a few questions though before i start. What about the paint? Is it ok to use any brand as long as it it the correct RAL code? Also i think i remember that the structure material was made of aluminium oxide. Some say saw dust. Where is the best place to get repro/original liners and decals? Any golden advice about restoring helmets is welcome. I have experience in painting classic car(Triumph and Alfa's). I also have filler and primer for the filler.

Finally... Any suggestions to which kind of helmet variant i should try and make. Normandy maybe or other.

I hope to get some good guide lines on this. I want to do it right and look forward to start.

Thank you.

Lars

UPDATE. Pics of the lid is posted further down.
    Last edited by Datrus; 12-26-2011 at 12:16 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Restoring a M42 helmet
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Restoring a M42 helmet

Please guys

You could take a look at the one that WOODSNAKE has done a great job in restoring

Link: Heer M42 helmet project
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

?

I will. Maybe WOODSNAKE can help me out with the RAL codes??

I don´t know. It may depend on what color and type of helmet you think of creating. But you can ask him, he is a nice guy and always helpful
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

?

Quote by Stinschen View Post
    I don´t know. It may depend on what color and type of helmet you think of creating. But you can ask him, he is a nice guy and always helpful
    That is one of the problems Stinchen. I have not yet made up my mind on which variant of the M42 i will make. But i am trying to find out the criterias for my project in this thread.

I think maybe you should post a few photos of the helmet here, that way other members will be able to help you - I have absolutely no experience with refurbishing/restoration projects.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

?

Where you are at trhe moment mate i'd go for a nice Ostfront Camo !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Hey Paul. I am in Moscow. Sounds like a cool idea. I still need to find out a few things though.

-Do i have to get the paint from a certain company or can i use paint from most manufacturers, as long i i get paint in the correct RAL (paint ID codes)??

-How do i get the RAL code for a Eastern Front camo job?

-Where to buy decals?

I think i will go for a original liner and not a repro. Is this the correct choise? I guess i will depend on whether the helmet is for display only or reenactment. I don't know. I just know i want to get started on this helmet.

Pics of the lid here

Restoring a M42 helmetRestoring a M42 helmetRestoring a M42 helmet

Quote by Stinschen View Post
    You could take a look at the one that WOODSNAKE has done a great job in restoring

Link: Heer M42 helmet project
    Lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast