Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Rusty Japanese Helmet / Help!!/ How to preserve??

Article about: Hello! Pics of a Japanese WW2 helmet that I just purchased from a friend in China who I have been getting a lot of rare Japanese hand grendades, and other items from. I am sorry if I should

Default Rusty Japanese Helmet / Help!!/ How to preserve??

Hello! Pics of a Japanese WW2 helmet that I just purchased from a friend in China who I have been getting a lot of rare Japanese hand grendades, and other items from.

I am sorry if I should not post a Japanese helmet in this forum, but I would think a rusty helmet is a rusty helmet, no matter what country. The helmet is historical & interesting. It still has the liner, star and remains of the cloth tropical cover that were once on it. You do not see too many dug helmets like this, and thought it was interesting, so I bought it.

I would like to preserve it just the way it is, but do not want the bits of cloth cover coming off. It looks like I will have to take a needle and thread and carefully re-attach the one liner flap that looks to have come off. I will probably re-enforce the other 2, if they need it.

Should the rust be killed somehow? should the leather liner be conditioned? I do not touch original things, and leave as found, but was wondering what the "experts" think about it.
    I have conditioned leather with Pecards before on certain things, like my pistol holsters that I use, and it seems to work very good without harm. I do not want to destroy any collector or historic value of this helmet, which tends to make me think, leave it alone!

Any help, suggestions, comments will be appreciated.

Regards, Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rusty Japanese Helmet / Help!!/ How to preserve??   Rusty Japanese Helmet / Help!!/ How to preserve??  

Rusty Japanese Helmet / Help!!/ How to preserve??   Rusty Japanese Helmet / Help!!/ How to preserve??  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Rusty Japanese Helmet / Help!!/ How to preserve??
    P
    Many

Default Re: Rusty Japanese Helmet / Help!!/ How to preserve??

Quote by PHILBROWN View Post
    have you any info of where it was dug up, IE a pacific island etc??i love relics
    Hi Phil, it was found on Mainland China. Most of grenades I purchased from him were dated 1937-39. This was a helmet from the Japanese forces who were doing all sorts of lovely stuff in China at the time. Any suggestions with the helmet? I have 3 dug dog tags on the way, and will have my translator tell me what they say.

What do think? Should I leave it alone? Treat it somehow??

Regards, Steve

Hi Phil, yes, I will show the tags, and also give the translations of what they say. The tags/helmet/grenades etc are coming from newly cleared land in China that farmers/devolpers are moving onto and finding. Their population is growing quite rapidly as you know.
    i really like this helmet too. I hope some authorities are working with these farmers/developers, because these tags and helmet could be from MIA's or KIA's. Is there a way, or a site you know to research the Japanese soldiers?

I have never heard of Nick's acid. Can you get it here in the US? What kind of acid/acids is it (names) I have what is called "Ospho" that I used when restoring my 1978 Camaro on spots before painting. It's ingredients are Phosphoric acid, dichromate and wetting agents. It turns rust a black color though, and neutralizes rust to a stable state. I do not think will not put that on it. Does Nicks change the color also to blackish?

Regards, Steve

?

don't worry about Phil there's no such thing as nick's acid any way if it can be i would leave as is but i know you can buy rust neutralizer to use on it but im not sure what effect it will have on the remaining liner & cover remnants ????

?

Oxalic Acid although i do have some ive never used it never had to

Jan
    ?

My suggestion is that you carefully remove the slightly wettened cover remnants by hand and a with a sharp surgeons knife and save them untouched under an airtight frame. To work on the helmet, carefully remove the surface rust manually and preferably under a low magnitude microscope and magnifying glass. Use organic oil to soften the rust. Good luck!

Jan
    ?

Fantastic helmet btw!!!

Quote by PHILBROWN View Post
    i meant the acid you use,
    Do you mean window pane, or micrdot? I am dating my self a bit, but it shows my age on member info anyway. Steve

Quote by NickD View Post
    Oxalic Acid although i do have some ive never used it never had to
    Thanks Nick. I will get some, and try it an a couple other products on a small spot first. Steve

Quote by Jan View Post
    My suggestion is that you carefully remove the slightly wettened cover remnants by hand and a with a sharp surgeons knife and save them untouched under an airtight frame. To work on the helmet, carefully remove the surface rust manually and preferably under a low magnitude microscope and magnifying glass. Use organic oil to soften the rust. Good luck!
    Hello! thanks for the reply. I was thinking also of your suggestions. I will also try this method on a small spot to see. I would like the remains of the tropical cover to stay where they are, it is interesting looking that way. I could remove them by wetting as you say, and if they come off easy, I could re attach pieces carefully where they were with a non harmful type of glue, or I could carefully work around them.

I have used organic oil on my Samurai sword, and the recommended type to use. I have noticed that when I use Tri-Flow synthetic oil/lubricant on old US grenade spoons it brings out the original color of the paint, and slows corrosion greatly.

I have a 3x Opti-visor I wear on my head for hands free magnification when working on things. I guess also it depends how much time and effort to put into it. I paid only$75 US for it. It is not the money though, it is the historical significance, and would like to preserve it better. It lasted this long, and will out last me. I will be dead before it falls apart.

Regards, Steve

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast