Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Safe to use aircraft grade paint remover?

Article about: Hi guys, I have a M35 relic helmet that has been repainted a few times and my friends dad is able to get ahold of aircraft grade paint remover from his work place and was wondering if that g

Default Safe to use aircraft grade paint remover?

Hi guys, I have a M35 relic helmet that has been repainted a few times and my friends dad is able to get ahold of aircraft grade paint remover from his work place and was wondering if that grade of remover is safe to use on a relic helmet, The helmets steel is still pretty thick

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Safe to use aircraft grade paint remover?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Safe to use aircraft grade paint remover?

If I was you I would probably thin out the paint remover with water and be careful with how much you use on the helmet, just take it nice and slowly and strip one layer at a time because there might be remains of the original paint underneath.

Thanks

Danny

?

Wouldn't it being 'aircraft grade' suggest more that it's gentle to metal? I mean you wouldn't want to use any chemicals that'd acutally damage your aircraft's thin metal skin, yes?

Generally the organic chemicals in paint stripper don't affect metals- they're solvents that act on the organic materials in paint. Dichloromethane is, I understand, the principle ingredient in most paint strippers (also called Methylene chloride), and it's immiscible in water so I don't know if cutting it as suggested would do anything, and I don't see any significant acidic components listed as usual in paint stripper so I'd think any safe for steel- washing it thoroughly with detergent after stripping is what I do to be sure. I've never had a problem using it on any metal myself...
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

qm612
    ?

Lots of paint removers cause heart problems.
    I would use oven cleaner, buy the cheap stuff

I use the air craft paint remover on automotive painted surfaces quite a bit and have had excellent results without harming the metal itself. If it is to restore the helmet by removing all paint then it is a safe option.

rgds, Tyrone

Oh yes, qm612 is correct that these paint strippers are not to be fooled around with. They are very toxic and all health and safety precautions must be fallowed! If you can not fallow directions DON"T USE IT!

CMc
    ?

True that, paint strippers can be quite nasty, but if you take the appropriate precautions you should be alright. Keep it off your skin and eyes, preferably cover them, and try to work in a ventilated area so as not to inhale a lot of fumes. If it's in its original container that'll probably have all sorts of safe use instructions marked on it anyway which'll keep you right.

Other than that, I'd imagine the paint stripper you'll be using won't be that different from the automotive versions I've used before, in which case it shouldn't harm the metal beneath. The only thing would be if you're hoping to find original paint or decals beneath more recent ones, in which case a watered down and/or very gently applied mixture might be the best option.

qm612
    ?

Try the oven cleaner first, a can costs about $1.00 US
    Spray some on, let set for 10 minutes and carefuly scrub with Scotch Brite pad.
    This way you will have more control of paint removal.
    Commerical paint remover is to strong