Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS Dagger Blade Restoration

Article about: by Wagriff Or some idiot kid Threw it at something... That too... My friend was in the 148th engineer corp. in WWII and he brought one back. One day c.1970s he found his nephew splitting boa

Default SS Dagger Blade Restoration

This is the blade I posted in a previous thread. I was wondering if it would be possible to straighten the tip and remove some more surface rust? I have used a little 3in1 to clean it up some. This is what it looks like now, any suggestions?
    Thanks
    -Ben
    SS Dagger Blade RestorationSS Dagger Blade RestorationSS Dagger Blade Restoration

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Dagger Blade Restoration
    P
    Many

Default Re: SS Dagger Blade Restoration

try WB 40 to clean it but be careful when trying to straighten the blade

Is it best to gradually bend it, do it suddenly, or leave it?

?

Ben if i were you i would just leave it. The tension of you trying to bend it in place might snap the blade.

Ryan

Ben, Can we see a pic of the bent tip? Such things are Extremely likely to snap if put under just the least bit too much pressure, so total caution is needed. Do Not attempt to straighten it by slowly tightening it in a bench vise and do Not torch heat it. If you Have to try anything-and I would Not-get a good flat anvil surface and Gently-and I mean Gently with a Capitol G-tap it with something like a smooth headed brass hammer. Even if this is successful, I doubt that you will ever be able to remove All of the bend. Have patience and be Gentle no matter what you decide, as once the tip snaps off, the whole thing is kaput forever.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Its just the very tip, but I feel its best to leave it for now...
    SS Dagger Blade Restoration

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Ben, Can we see a pic of the bent tip? Such things are Extremely likely to snap if put under just the least bit too much pressure, so total caution is needed. Do Not attempt to straighten it by slowly tightening it in a bench vise and do Not torch heat it. If you Have to try anything-and I would Not-get a good flat anvil surface and Gently-and I mean Gently with a Capitol G-tap it with something like a smooth headed brass hammer. Even if this is successful, I doubt that you will ever be able to remove All of the bend. Have patience and be Gentle no matter what you decide, as once the tip snaps off, the whole thing is kaput forever.
    Ive done some metal work when I worked in a machine shop and I thought a small hammer against a metal backing would be best but I didnt want to sound crazy lol

Eeek! I agree-leave it be. That tip is Way to thin metalled to try to work it. It would Definitely snap off.
    William

yeah, It looks like someone was using it as a pry bar, or to pick their teeth

Or some idiot kid Threw it at something...
    William

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast