MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS motorcycle Plate

Article about: Hello Guys, I have just bought a German SS motorcycle registration plate. The problem is if you as much as sneeze on this relic more paint flakes off. What would you suggest? give it a coat

Default SS motorcycle Plate

Hello Guys,

I have just bought a German SS motorcycle registration plate. The problem is if you as much as sneeze on this relic more paint flakes off. What would you suggest? give it a coat of matt lacquer? or what? if you rubbed this relic hard enough you could flake off the white paint.

Any advice what to do for the best is appreciated.

Regards

Mike
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS motorcycle Plate   SS motorcycle Plate  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS motorcycle Plate
    P
    Many

Default Re: SS motorcycle Plate

I would try laquer from an aerosol can. Spray from quite some distance so the lacquer drifts down. Spraying too close might have the active components of the aerosol adversly affecting the fragile paint. Spray lightly and evenly and keep an eye on any effect with the numberplate. Slowly you should build up a coat of the 'dry sprayed' lacquer.

When you are happy that there is a decent coat of the dry sprayed laquer and it is dry you should then be safe to apply a medium wet coat then finally a fully wet coat should you so desire.

Of course if you have any doubts then test spray on one corner first. If it were me i'd try on the corner under the last number (i'd hate to ruin those runes at the other end) Good luck and i'd love to see the results at the end

You can also find laquer in can's so that you can brush it!
    You can also try the white of a fresh egg, thise is the oldest laquer on earth, but i would also try it on small part to see the result.
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

?

Before applying a lacquer i would firstly seal the whole thing, there is a product called plasticote, depending where you are, they do a flat clear sealer from an aerosol, or you can have a sheen effect, personal preference etc, this stabilises the flaky paint in situ, once sealed then it shouldnt require a lacquer and it will remain as is, but like any product try a test piece first, i would refrain from using a brush at this stage, bearing in mind that you say the existing paint is continually flaking, any pressure by brush may drag paint away

?

first onei saw with a red ink stamp...nice

?

They nearly all have the red ink stamp !! To be honest why not leave it the way it is , it still looks fairly sound , once you've laquered it the originality of it has gone !!

I have a large collection of relics and haven't done anything with any of them for the above reason but that my opinion !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

I am going to be getting two ORIGINAL matching WH plates for my Zundapp DB200.. They are in great shape and I'm planning on affixing them to my bike. I was thinking of doing some kind of clear coat to protect the plates.. I don't want them to flake and/or rust any more than they already are. I don't think I'm worried so much about them losing value. I know their original and I want to preserve them the best I can.

?

I have just bought a German SS motorcycle registration plate. The problem is if you as much as sneeze on this relic more paint flakes off. What would you suggest?

Stop sneezing on it?

Seriously though, as Paul E has mentioned, it looks fairly stable. Personally I would mount it behind perspex/glass away from prying fingers.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

What a fantastique item!!!

K.

I ended up losing the auction on German Ebay.... I bid 675,00 EUROS and the plates went for 725,00 EUROS.. Looks like l'll have to keep my reproduction plates on the bike... Bullshit!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast