Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

SSH-36 restoration

Article about: Hello. I just bought this Winter War relic. It was found in late 1960's from Kilpelänkangas, Finland. It is situated near the Russian border. One of the fiercest battles of Winter War was fo

Default SSH-36 restoration

Hello.

I just bought this Winter War relic. It was found in late 1960's from Kilpelänkangas, Finland. It is situated near the Russian border. One of the fiercest battles of Winter War was fought there in the beginning of 1940. It was found laying on top of a rock in a dry peaty forest.

How should I remove this 1960's overpaint? What should I use, what should I be careful about?

All advices are welcome! I want to discover the original little rusty paintjob there should be underneath.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SSH-36 restoration   SSH-36 restoration  

SSH-36 restoration   SSH-36 restoration  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SSH-36 restoration
    P
    Many

Are you sure it's not the original paint? I think it looks very good the way it is.
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

I dont remember these being this colour and the seller said he painted it in when he found it.

?

It looks to be in very good condition, unless it was filled and sanded prior to painting I'd say it's mint. Use regular paint stripper giving it a good heavy and even covering allowing 10 minutes to work. Then what I do is make a scraper (make a curved one also for the helmet interior) from an aluminum can and carefully work the top layer off, use methylated spirits to clean-up. Any original paint should remain unaffected. Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Thanks NZEF.

I'll keep you updated, when I start working on it!

Good luck!

Default .

I bought some Nitromors for paint removal. Let's see how it turns out!

P.S It says I dont need any spirits to clean it, water will do.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SSH-36 restoration  

Default .

I applied paint remover to a test surface inside skirt.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SSH-36 restoration  

Second try... it was apparently too cold outside for the paint remover to work. I took it inside.

Edit:

Still no success. Does anyone have an idea what to do with it? I've applied the paint remover, but nothing happens. I've tried 10 minutes, 30 minutes, an hour, but nothing happens.
    Last edited by Finnlander; 02-24-2014 at 06:10 PM.

?

Quote by Finnlander View Post
    Second try... it was apparently too cold outside for the paint remover to work. I took it inside.

Edit:

Still no success. Does anyone have an idea what to do with it? I've applied the paint remover, but nothing happens. I've tried 10 minutes, 30 minutes, an hour, but nothing happens.
    Wow, I'm a little puzzled. Most home repaints fall off easily. I once had real trouble stripping the black paint from a Czech reissue German M40, all the others I've ever restored responded really well to paint stripper. This one had been done with a two pot paint or something, it was rock hard. I eventually got a friend to sand blast it for me. Might be your next option.

Ian