Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Stripping new paint to reveal old - worth it?

Article about: I've already posted a thread with the pictures of the helmet in it - so I'll just link it here: http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/italia...ed-m33-656057/ Basically I bought an Italian wartime (o

?

Exclamation Stripping new paint to reveal old - worth it?

I've already posted a thread with the pictures of the helmet in it - so I'll just link it here: Repainted WW2 produced M33

Basically I bought an Italian wartime (or perhaps prewar) M33 helmet - the exterior shell paint is (I'm almost 100% sure) a more recent addition. The post war olive paint can be seen in the interior of the shell and beneath that is what I assume is the original paint (looks like the exterior shell is trying to emulate it)

Basically, with the rust and 2 newer layers of paint is it possible or worth it to strip the newer paint off without damaging the liner, shell or original paint (I've been told that there may also be an original stencil underneath with the original paint and I would hate to damage that)

Any help would be great!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Stripping new paint to reveal old - worth it?
    P
    Many

As always, there is a danger that the old paint may be damaged when stripping the new paint back. having said that, if you are prepared to take the gamble, I would suggest using a gel-type paint stripper like Nitromores - but make sure you have some white spirit to hand to neutralise it in a hurry. I've done this on a few helmets in the past, and so far I have never ruined the original paint. I would strongly advise though, that if you can't handle the possibility of ruining the helmet, then don't do it.

cheers,
    Steve.

?

Will the stripper only affect the layer it is applied to? or will it 'seep' through?

Quote by FinMC View Post
    Will the stripper only affect the layer it is applied to? or will it 'seep' through?
    My experience has been that it only affects the paint which the stripper is applied to, but immediately the paint starts to bubble you need to neutralise with white spirits. As I said before, if you are worried about the risks of damaging the original paint, then leave it alone.
    Cheers,
    Steve.

?

Cool, I will definitely give it a go. Thanks for your info!

Hi FinMC, I have an old M35 helmet I stripped from rubbish post war camo paint. Although it was great to have most of the new paint removed, and discovered it was SD LW underneath, the decal only retained fractions of the decal after the paint removal. Having said that, I cannot say whether it was the cleaning that removed bits of the decal or whether it was damaged before but the fact remains, it can be risky.