Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Vac-Sealing Edged Weapons for storage?

Article about: Greetings all, I apologise if this has already been covered, but I could not find much about this subject anywhere. As I am sure my northern compatriots can appreciate; humid weather and var

Default Vac-Sealing Edged Weapons for storage?

Greetings all,

I apologise if this has already been covered, but I could not find much about this subject anywhere.

As I am sure my northern compatriots can appreciate; humid weather and various types of aged metals do not go well together. I am constantly wiping, oiling etc. my edged weapon collection.

I had, what can only be described as a genius idea ; to give my bayo's a good light cleaning and oiling then I vac-seal them away from the humid air!

The only negative thing I noticed was the leather frogs appeared to be put under a bit of pressure. I realise some say that vac sealing ammo is not ideal for various reasons but can't see why it could be a bad idea for the storage of edged weapons. What say you gentlemen?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Vac-Sealing Edged Weapons for storage?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Vac-Sealing Edged Weapons for storage?
    P
    Many

?

I realise, that hot and humid temps can wreak havoc on uniforms, guns and bayonets. I have a friend in Florida with a collection, that needs a lot of TLC, especially after a hurricane thrashed the area and forced him to store part of his vast collection.

With that taken into account though, I must state, that a collection, which cant be enjoyed on the wall or the like is no fun at all to me. Not speaking of the OP, who obviously has legitimate concerns concerns in regards to his collection, but in some cases, it seems more like hoarding or an investment in case of valuable items.

If one lives in a harsh climate tough on relics, consider a climate controlled room for the items and/or a dehumidifier.

I realise, that there are monetary concerns and a SWMBO to be taken into account.

Hi Chris, I would worry about condensation.

The other issue is the plastic itself. Obviously, this will not be museum grade. Many plastics will "out gas" over time. These vapours might cause problems in the long term with any leather frogs etc.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

What Ade said.

Especially, as I now notice, that you also store or shrink wrap the bayos with the bladws in the scabbards!

Even should all other factors be museum grade, thats a no-no.

Quote by Scout View Post
    If one lives in a harsh climate tough on relics, consider a climate controlled room for the items and/or a dehumidifier.
    Hi Scout, cheers for your input and yes I absolutely agree with you.

I have been looking into some of these methods of dehumidification for the long run

What about using this Renaissance Wax I hear everyone keep talking about? I have yet to use it, but by all accounts its meant to be good stuff to coat bayos and stuff in.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Chris, I would worry about condensation.

The other issue is the plastic itself. Obviously, this will not be museum grade. Many plastics will "out gas" over time. These vapours might cause problems in the long term with any leather frogs etc.

Cheers, Ade.
    Thanks Ade,
    I had neglected to consider the plastic itself - much appreciated. I had considered potential problems with condensation but thought it may not be a problem if I stored them in a dry, cool area... Probably not worth the risk