Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Wanna clean this lid

Article about: Is the oil/wax part neccesary? I always thought oxalic acid stabilizes the rust? Thanks

Default Re: Wanna clean this lid

Before
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wanna clean this lid   Wanna clean this lid  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wanna clean this lid
    P
    Many

After-Can't say I did a good job, lol.

No oil or wax added yet, still looking for good suggestions.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wanna clean this lid   Wanna clean this lid  

Wanna clean this lid   Wanna clean this lid  

I see some green poking through now!!

Eric

Quote by ez1969 View Post
    I see some green poking through now!!

Eric
    Yeah, but I'm not sure that looks any better

I did do a Russian helmet for less time and then put some oil/wax on it. I gotta take pics.

Wanna clean this lid  

Quote by Good Pwny View Post

I did do a Russian helmet for less time and then put some oil/wax on it. I gotta take pics.
    Look at this link Jay for Electrolytic Rust Removal the anode can be even a old bolt or something very cheap to do. YouTube - Geoff's Science Garage - Electrolytic Rust Removal

Eric

Quote by ez1969 View Post
    Look at this link Jay for Electrolytic Rust Removal the anode can be even a old bolt or something very cheap to do. YouTube - Geoff's Science Garage - Electrolytic Rust Removal

Eric
    Will check it out, thanks as always!!!!!!!

Quote by Good Pwny View Post

That looks done much better on that one!!

Eric

I've used the Renaissance Wax which gives a nice sheen to the helmet and darkens down th eorange rust and also seems to bring some life back into the faded paint.

Jeez, i wouldn't touch electroysis on thin helmet steel, you might just eat the whole shell away. From what i've read using electrolysis on a helmet with a decal will pretty much mean you lose the decal as the layer of rust that the decal is sitting on will lift from the remaining steel base layer. I looked at trying electolysis but it seems to be more suitable for solid metal items like engine parts/rifle barrels etc.

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    I've used the Renaissance Wax which gives a nice sheen to the helmet and darkens down th eorange rust and also seems to bring some life back into the faded paint.

Jeez, i wouldn't touch electroysis on thin helmet steel, you might just eat the whole shell away. From what i've read using electrolysis on a helmet with a decal will pretty much mean you lose the decal as the layer of rust that the decal is sitting on will lift from the remaining steel base layer. I looked at trying electolysis but it seems to be more suitable for solid metal items like engine parts/rifle barrels etc.
    I read that Renaissance Wax is the stuff to preserve old armor and helmets. I'm gonna go look for some later. I think they sell it in the states. The acid bath was an interesting experiment, but I don't think I'll try it again. Maybe one day, but not anytime soon. I followed tips from your thread, but I didn't achieve the results that you and the others did. I do appreciate all your info, Glenn!

You're welcome my friend!

Oxalic seems to work better on lighter rust, just a couple of weeks ago I put a lightly rusted neckchain from my Feldgendarmerie gorget into an oxalic solution and within 15 minutes the rust had melted away and only fresh bare metal and original silver paint were left on the chain, it was brilliant! Crusty old helmets are a tougher ask but don't give up, your lids certainly looked better, just not dramatically so. Good luck!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast